FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big Project; Best Use of Processor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
Big Project; Best Use of Processor?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:23:30 pm

I have a spanking new Retina MBPRO w/ 2.8GHz i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 and an internal 768GB SSD. It has one HDMI port, two Thunderbolt and two USB3 ports.

I have an enormous edit ahead with 5-10TB of 23.98 1080 ProRes media (standard / HQ).

I will be using 2-unit sets of RAID-0 external drives, since I don't need a single drive containing everything (the full project is multiple shorts with differing subjects).

I want to optimize the combination of peripherals / bus arrangement to most efficiently "free up" processing power of the Mac for purely FCP action.
Granted I do not know exactly what I'm talking about, but let's say my age-old experience with equipment behaviors warrants the thoughts!

- For an external monitor, is Thunderbolt less taxing on the processor than HDMI?
(will use a consumer 16:9 unit like Samsung or Dell, color grading to be done out of house)

- For external RAID-0 drives (will use two at a time) is USB3 acceptable for two layers of video, or must I use Thunderbolt?

I already have new USB3 drives and a recent HDMI monitor, but if getting new Thunderbolt items will make a significant difference I will get those.

So technically, what's the best strategy for letting each of the discreet powers of this Mac do their thing unhindered by adapters or cross-purposes?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Big Project; Best Use of Processor?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:34:25 pm

[William Carr] "- For an external monitor, is Thunderbolt less taxing on the processor than HDMI?"

No.

[William Carr] "- For external RAID-0 drives (will use two at a time) is USB3 acceptable for two layers of video, or must I use Thunderbolt?"

USB 3 is fine for two layers of ProRes HQ. Not much more though...

[William Carr] "
So technically, what's the best strategy for letting each of the discreet powers of this Mac do their thing unhindered by adapters or cross-purposes?"

FCP 7? FCX? What version are we talking about here? Drive speed, Graphics card...none of those really take away processing power anyway.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:39:07 pm

Yes, FCP 7 latest (last) version.

Would FCP X change any of these issues?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:44:35 pm

I doubt it. Processors aren't really impacted by external or internal drives, or graphics card. Know that FCP 7 is 32-bit, and can only address certain amounts of RAM, and only use 1 processor...even though you might have 4 or 8. FCX is 64 bit, uses more RAM, and can use multiple processors. As can Adobe Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:48:07 pm

Shane you are as always a wellspring of advantage for growing professionals. Thank you!

Now begins the impossible prediction: will I more sooner learn FCPX or Premier to make a major skills advance, now that I have new equipment and a big project to start?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:49:29 pm

Not qualified to answer that. I don't use FCX. It's not getting used in my post market.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:55:42 pm

Understood! Thanks for all good info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]