FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Grading after ProRes Proxy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie Hardy
Color Grading after ProRes Proxy
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:01:08 pm

I recently finished the edit on a large project in FCP7, and now I'm getting ready to start color grading. Because of the size of this project (over two hours) I opted to use ProRes Proxy files during my edit. Does anyone have any recommendation of how best to proceed workflow-wise if I intend to also color grade within Final Cut? If it helps, I plan on using Red Giant's Colorista plugin for FCP for the color work, and I used ClipWrap to convert the footage (shot on an FS100) in the first place.

Thank you for reading!

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Color Grading after ProRes Proxy
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:42:42 pm

First of all,

I wouldn't grade within the ProresProxy codec. Is it just the codec of the timeline or is all the material converted to Prores Proxy? If you've just made up a timeline then you simply can change the codec of the timeline, render and the whole project is there. Colorista is a very good grading tool, I can strongly recommend that. For further grading Apple Color would be my first choice. You definitely need a good external Class 2 or 1 monitor for grading, otherwise you tend to fish in dirty water.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Melanie Hardy
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:51:07 pm

All media was converted to ProRes Proxy before the edit. I know it would be useless to try color grading with proxies, so I'm wondering what the best course of action is to re-convert. Do I have to export my whole project and re-import to FCP as one HQ file? Or is there any easier way that I've overlooked?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:44:09 pm

The original files of the FS100 are AVCHD if you shot on HD. I assume you converted them into Prores Proxy.
You have to encode them into ProRes or ProResHQ files into a different folder as the ProRes Proxy files, but with the same filenames (I think its numbers)
Then you set all the files in your FCP project file offline (copy your Project first). You copy the offline sequence and change the codec of the sequence (ProRes or HQ) Then you relink the files to the new encoded Prores files in the other folder.
That's how I would do it.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2013 at 10:10:02 pm

If you wanted to use the offline/online workflow for FCP...where you only recapture the footage you use in the cut, and not EVERYTHING, at full resolution...then you needed to do all of the import/conversion inside FCP. By using an outside app, this means that you now need to convert everything to full res ProRes 422, and then relink.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]