FORUMS: list search recent posts

Detecting which editing software was used

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brenden masar
Detecting which editing software was used
on Aug 5, 2013 at 5:02:02 pm

I've been reviewing some final outputs I received from a client, and I have a suspicion he may have used iMovie despite claims he used FCPX. Is there a way to examine a mov file's metadata to determine which software was used to create it? The finals were not compressed (they're 720p pro res) so I believe they came straight from the editing source.

One thing that really raised my suspicions are his lower thirds, which are definitely available in iMovie. I use FCP7 so I'm not sure if they are also available with FCPX. Maybe someone here knows...

He also said he had problems importing some DSLR footage, which was strange because it was prepped using FCP.

The reason it matters is that he stated before the job that he uses FCPX, and when I casually asked if he used iMovie he maintained that he uses FCPX. I would like to find out if he lied to me twice.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Detecting which editing software was used
on Aug 5, 2013 at 5:28:12 pm

Well, for one thing, iMovie doesn't import, work with, nor export ProRes. So it couldn't have exported a ProRes file from it.

Another thing...there are a lot of presets in FCX that came from iMovie, which is why some people called it "iMovie Pro."

Lastly...why does it matter what they used?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2013 at 6:21:57 pm

Well, it might matter if he's expected to replicate the graphics in the source material, I guess.

Return to posts index

brenden masar
on Aug 5, 2013 at 6:33:40 pm

To answer your question, I'm not okay with a client not being truthful about the equipment or software he uses before and after the project. If someone claimed they would use a Red camera, shot with a prosumer camera instead, and then insisted it was a Red when asked, you wouldn't have a problem with that? I would.

Also, it is possible to export a 422 pro res from iMovie, I just tried it to see if I could.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 5, 2013 at 7:16:46 pm

Well, the type of camera used is very significant, because of the lens and the sensor and all that. What it was edited with...very different. That is an apples/oranges comparison.

I cut TV shows, and deliver to a network. The network rarely cares what we edit with, as long as we get them a show that fulfills their needs. On very rare occasions, do they dictate what we need to use, because they like to recieve project files of the finished show.

But I see your point, truthfullness is key. But know that FCX has a lot of iMovie like things. And it exporting ProRes is something new to me...I didn't know it could do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

brenden masar
on Aug 5, 2013 at 7:31:30 pm

Right on about the video cameras being a very different circumstance, I was just using an extreme example about truthfulness. Potentially being lied to is my only real issue with this whole affair.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]