FORUMS: list search recent posts

90 minute feature film / movie - distribution question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Clemente
90 minute feature film / movie - distribution question
on Aug 5, 2013 at 5:58:00 am

Hello fellow creators,
I have been shooting a documentary over the past 4-5 months, and I will be done shooting around November. The documentary is a history of the music scene in my city, and I have some questions / concerns about it's release. I was wondering if I can have some insight on this:

My small film crew is shooting using the following cameras -
Canon 6D
Panasonic HMC40
GoPro Hero 2

All footage is being shot in 1080, and we are "going back in time" with hi-8 footage that we obtained (old concerts) also being inserted into the timeline.

We wish to physically release the film for viewing.

I understand that a DVD disc is SD, and I shot in HD. Of course I want the best top notch quality for presenting purposes. I also know that DVDs is old technology.

So, with that my question is, how do film makers who shoot with DSLRs and AVCHD cams get their HD footage onto DVD? Are they only releasing via blu-ray? Is it impossible for me to physically release this documentary?
Obviously it will be available via streaming or for download, but physical copies have been requested.

I have done my fair share of youtube videos and internet shorts, but I have never been involved with physically releasing anything, more so a 90 minute documentary.

Any help, guidance and direction will be greatly appreciated!!!

Anthony
http://www.facebook.com/citylightsfilms

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 90 minute feature film / movie - distribution question
on Aug 5, 2013 at 9:56:55 am

[Anthony Clemente] "So, with that my question is, how do film makers who shoot with DSLRs and AVCHD cams get their HD footage onto DVD? Are they only releasing via blu-ray?"

No, there are also HD tape formats...the ones we use in broadcast TV. HDCAM, HDCAM SR mainly. But there is also D5...but that is rare.

[Anthony Clemente] " Is it impossible for me to physically release this documentary?"

No...you have BluRay, and the tape formats mentioned above.

[Anthony Clemente] "but physical copies have been requested."

What TYPE of physical copies? If clients make that request, they need to be specific. Because they need to be able to play back that physical media. SO they need to tell you what they can accept.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anthony Clemente
on Aug 5, 2013 at 1:20:46 pm

Thanks for the response Shane.

The physical copies would be what we would hand out to people interested in watching out story. I have come down to the options of blu-ray duplication and online streaming.

The documentary we are filming is about the history of the music scene in our town, so with that, it caused a buzz in our area and we have received a numerous amount of requests for "DVD copies", and we know it can not be put to DVD with how we filmed it, being shot in 1080.

If we did duplicate it via blu-ray, do we have to pay for the stamp / title fee? Is "home producing" a blu-ray disc with a blu-ray burner and software an option, or do we just pay the stamp and title fee? Do we still have to pay a stamp and title fee with home burning?

I saw online that the stamp fee is a $500 annual fee. Is this $500 annual fee forever or just if you keep pressing it?

A little overwhelmed from being a film student making youtube videos to now having the demand of a 90 minute feature documentary, so please excuse my ignorance. I am just not as educated on the topic as I would like to be.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 5, 2013 at 5:15:13 pm

[Anthony Clemente] "we have received a numerous amount of requests for "DVD copies", and we know it can not be put to DVD with how we filmed it, being shot in 1080."

SURE you can. Those Hollywood movies you buy on DVD...they were shot on film, or cameras that shoot 4K. Mastered much higher quality than your doc. Those are on DVD. The same quality as they have in their bays? On the big screen? No...but it's pretty good.

BluRay is an option, but only if people have BluRay players...not a lot of people do, even though it is the only HD DVD format out there now. Many people stick to their regular DVDs, so you can make BluRay and DVDs, and give them the option as to what they want. BluRays should cost more, as they cost more to produce.

As for fees...sorry, no idea. I'm an editor for hire, if clients do that route, they handle that on their end. If you are a student, find someone local who's good at DVD authoring, or just use this method (pay attention for the BEST QUALITY section at the end of this)

#42 - Quick and dirty way to author a DVD

Shane's Stock Answer #42 - David Roth Weiss' Secret Quick and Dirty Way to Author a DVD:

The absolute simplest way to make a DVD using FCP and DVDSP is as follows:

1. Export a QT movie, either a reference file or self contained using current settings.

2. Take it into Compressor and choose the BEST QUALITY ENCODE (2 pass VBR) that matches your show timing.

3. Select the left blue one and hit delete. Open DVDSP, select the "graphical" tab and you will see two little monitors, one blue, one green.

4. Now, select the green one, right click on it amd select the top option "first play".

5. Now drag your QT from the broswer and drop it on top of the green monitor.

6. Now, for a DVD from an HD source, look to the right side and select the "general tab" in the track editor, and see the Display Mode, and select "16:9 LETTERBOX & Pan & Scan"

7. Hit the little black and yellow burn icon at the top of the page and put a a DVD in when prompted. DVDSP will encode and burn your new DVD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]