FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting MP4 video to FCP difficulties

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miles Atkinson
Converting MP4 video to FCP difficulties
on Aug 2, 2013 at 8:21:00 pm

Hello,

I am using an older edition of Final Cut Express to edit videos. I have a Samsung camera http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/photography/camcorders/high-definitio...that films in mp4 with H.264 codec. The video is also in PAL format, if that makes a difference.

The mp4 file is unusable in Final Cut and I get an error message saying "out of memory" when I try to import the videos. I have been converting the files into DV or avi or mov, but haven't really been impressed with the video quality. The DV file has the best quality of all, but the converted files are twice as large as the originals. It also makes the program run and render slowly. I've tried to mess around with settings a bit, but have not seen much of a difference.

I am not sure where exactly the problem lies. Is it an issue of which file type I am choosing? Is it a poor conversion program (BigAsSoft video converter)? I have experimented with a couple other converters, like iSkysoft, which converted the video into a green blob of useless footage.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a particular file type that is best to convert into from mp4? That is, do some file types convert more cleanly, conserving the original picture quality? 2.Does it make a difference whether I convert into DV or MOV or AVI?
3. Can anyone recommend a good free video conversion program (MPEG Streamclip?)
4. When exporting the video out of Final Cut Express, what are the best settings? If I am using MOV files, for example, is it better to export the final product as an MOV?

One other complication: I just tried converting with MPEG Streamclip and I can not find ProRes 422 as an option anywhere. Is it labeled something else by chance?

Thanks,

Miles

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Converting MP4 video to FCP difficulties
on Aug 2, 2013 at 9:56:12 pm

Yes Mpeg Streamclip is the way to go. For export, select QuickTime and then when that window pops up scroll down to ProRes 422 and export it to an external hard drive.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 2, 2013 at 11:34:31 pm

Final Cut EXPRESS doesn't work with ProRes. You need to convert it to Apple Intermediate Codec.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 3, 2013 at 1:25:43 pm

As Shane says, the only problem is the FCE limitations.
Convert to the AIC, and ALWAYS QT movie.
If you work with Macs, keep away from AVI.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]