FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seq setting other than ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
Seq setting other than ProRes
on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:01:02 pm

This is a follow-on post to the earlier "edit ready video files that aren't too huge"

Another way to come at this is to imagine editing video of SD dimensions for release as a medium to small web video. Is there a workable Seq compression setting such that the master need not be a big ProRes Qt since that is way more bandwidth/fidelity than required?

This is something of a theoretical question because my goal is to compress an hour of SD video to say vhs quality for upload/download that is edit-ready on a FCP7 system.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Seq setting other than ProRes
on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:10:50 pm

SD quality settings that FCP works with:

Uncompressed 8 bit and 10-bit - WAY to big for you.

ProRes 422 - too big for you, as you stated.

DV/NTSC - The standard that FCP was based on. Better than VHS quality...really the lowest format of SD there is now.

Offline RT - meant for offline cutting only...never to be used as a mastering format.

DV is your best option. And with that, you shouldn't encode for the web any larger than 720x480. I'm shaking my head that you actually want VHS quality...that's horrible! No, work with good quality...best you can, because when you compress for the web, it'll get worse. Besides, there is no "VHS QUALITY" codec that FCP works with. DV is the base...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:22:21 pm

Thanks so much Shane for your thorough, thoughtful answer. Hope springs eternal but my wish is not meant to be:)

Paul

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:29:00 pm

FCP is restricted in how it works...as is Avid. Adobe Premiere Pro is more open into the formats it can work with...so you might consider looking at that, and having clients look at that.

If you use FCP, you need to work within the guidelines it sets.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:58:48 pm

You could try ProRes Proxy (data rate is about 1/2 of DV) or ProRes LT (data rate is about 10% more than DV). Given the advances in codec technology I wouldn't be surprised if Proxy is as good as (if not better than) DV in terms of image quality. Mind you, I haven't tested the two side by side.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]