FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to understand something regarding audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Touhey
Need to understand something regarding audio
on Aug 1, 2013 at 1:25:31 am

My producer and I are having a bit of a problem. We're editing a trailer and we've made some audio edits to a stereo music track that had to be extended. We extended the track and after a late night we agreed that it sounded fine. When I returned home I noticed that the music was off by about a beat or 2, so I decided to take the original audio file and extend the track with an external audio program. I re-inserted the audio file into the FCP project file onto a new audio layer and adjusted my edits to fit the new music. I alerted my producer to the change and he was upset that I had used an external audio program to edit the music. He claims that it is a workflow issue. I'm unaware of any issue that could arise from changing the audio other than minor edits to the video. Can somebody explain what my producer is talking about?

Inside the Dragon's Lair
http://www.vimeo.com/37600315

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Need to understand something regarding audio
on Aug 1, 2013 at 2:46:55 am

Each person has their own opinion. I would have kept my mouth shut and if see if the producer noticed the change.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Martin Touhey
on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:32:58 pm

Thanks for the response. He would definitely notice the change as it would be reflected in the timeline. I think his issue might be that we are using 2 different hard drives with the same information on both. This way we can make edits independently and just trade FCP files over email. Once I change the actual audio file, his hard drive doesn't reflect the change until we get together and update his drive with the new file. If the edits we're made in final cut only then we could just transfer the FCP project file and not worry about reconnecting the media. The larger audio file would take longer to upload to a dropbox and also to download on his end. Also he'd have to place the audio file in the same place as it's mapped on my drive to avoid reconnection errors. I'm not sure if this is his issue 100%, but I think it's close to what his complaint about workflow is.

Inside the Dragon's Lair
http://www.vimeo.com/37600315

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:52:25 pm

I can think of one reason why a producer would get all bent out of shape -- you didn't use an audio editing application within Final Cut Suite, i.e. Soundtrack.

Therefore, If changes need to be made in the future, the producer would have to be sure that the other audio application is available.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]