FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question concerning Pro Res 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Question concerning Pro Res 422
on Jul 30, 2013 at 8:16:53 pm

I recently shot a large movie project shot with three different cameras in 1920 x1080/30fps (all mov files at this point).
This footage combined is around 160 GB, and 160 GB converted to pro res is going to become huge. I have 1 TB left on one drive... not much for pro res in some cases.

Is there a better way to start managing huge projects without converting to pro-res? Or do I just need to keep buying hard drives?

Intel iMac 3.06, 4 gb memory.

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Brian Schoklant
Re: Question concerning Pro Res 422
on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:17:14 pm

Have you considered a offline to online workflow, like working with footage in prores proxy and when you're done make an online of your edit in HQ? Shane Ross did a tutorial about the offline / online workflow: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/tapeless_online/video-tu...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:49:06 pm

Drives are so cheap. 160 gig of H264 (I presume) isn't a lot of camera footage compared to a typical long form doco. I would just go to ProRes with a bigger drive. Offline /Online might make sense if you had 100 hours of source material rather than 6.

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jul 31, 2013 at 8:33:46 am

Yes, about 80gb of it is H.264 and the rest is AVCHD (Apple Intermediate Codec, Linear PCM, Timecode). The only real space I have left on one of my drives is about (1) TB.

This main project gets the attention first - 160GB. The others I will edit later. So all in all, I have close to 400 GB combined.

Thanks for the input...

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jul 31, 2013 at 8:35:17 am

This sounds like a great idea...small or large projects. I will check out the video...

Thanks

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 31, 2013 at 3:28:30 pm

No question about it: doing a proper high-quality job of cutting big projects in FCP -- or any NLE, for that matter -- takes a whole bunch of fast storage with fast connections to the computer.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]