FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Formats For Final Cut Sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wil Horneff
Video Formats For Final Cut Sequence
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:42:13 pm

Hello, I'm new in FCP and needed some advice. I have a sequence that already is 1920 x 1080 24fps mp4. The rest of the footage I have is raw avi. Is it best to take the raw avi and put it all in compressor to get it to the 1920 x 1080 24fps before importing into FCP or is there some way to just go straight to FCP?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video Formats For Final Cut Sequence
on Jul 30, 2013 at 6:01:29 pm

[Wil Horneff] " I have a sequence that already is 1920 x 1080 24fps mp4."

And already you messed up. Sorry, I know you are new to this, and FCP 7 makes it way too damn easy to mess up like this. FCP doesn't work with MP4 files, or H.264...or just any old Quicktime files. You need to convert those to an editing codec that FCP works with, like ProRes. Use Compressor to do this (there are presets), or MPEG STREAMCLIP (free). And yes, the file sizes will get much larger.

[Wil Horneff] " The rest of the footage I have is raw avi."

Convert that, and the MP4, to ProRes 422.

[Wil Horneff] " Is it best to take the raw avi and put it all in compressor to get it to the 1920 x 1080 24fps before importing into FCP or is there some way to just go straight to FCP?"

You gotta convert ALL of your footage. If you want to edit that footage native, you need to get Adobe Premiere Pro CC. Cool thing about that is that you can get it for $20 a month...so it won't break your bank.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Wil Horneff
on Jul 30, 2013 at 6:06:49 pm

Hi Shane thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I mean to say they were .mov files from my canon instead of mp4. So basically if I want to edit in FCP every time I shoot with my Canon I need to convert them to ProRes 422 first before importing into FCP? I get converting the AVI so I just wanted to check that it was the same with the mov files.

Thanks
WIl

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 30, 2013 at 6:14:50 pm

[Wil Horneff] " I mean to say they were .mov files from my canon instead of mp4."

MOV, MP4, AVI...those are just containers...like cans or bottles. The CODEC is what they contain. You can have coke in a can, or in a bottle...you can have H.264 in MOV or AVI. FCP doesn't work with anything that's MOV (Quicktime), it does use Quicktime formats, yes, but they need to be specific QT formats.

[Wil Horneff] " if I want to edit in FCP every time I shoot with my Canon I need to convert them to ProRes 422 first before importing into FCP?"

Yup. To ProRes 422, or ProRes LT.

[Wil Horneff] " I get converting the AVI so I just wanted to check that it was the same with the mov files."

Everything...convert everything. It much be a codec FCP works with, and when it comes to HD video...ProRes is the prime choice. Note, your file sizes will get a LOT bigger. That's because the video isn't as compressed as it was. FCP has issues dealing with compressed video.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]