FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to export p2 clips from final cut pro to original format...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristyn Woods
Need to export p2 clips from final cut pro to original format...
on Jul 28, 2013 at 3:53:08 am

I apologise if I sound like an absolute idiot here but I'm really new to all of this.

I filmed an interview on my p2, trimmed them in final cut pro 7.

The guy who wants the footage tells me that he thinks it would be easier for him to work with the clips in their original p2 clip format because he's going to edit them in avid.

But I can't give him the original clips because they are too long and there are simply too many of them.

How to I export these clips to their original format? It says the clips were imported into fcp as 960x720.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Need to export p2 clips from final cut pro to original format...
on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:10:12 pm

[Kristyn Woods] "
The guy who wants the footage tells me that he thinks it would be easier for him to work with the clips in their original p2 clip format because he's going to edit them in avid."

He's right. Avid works with MXF files, the format the camera shoots. The QTs that are made when you import into FCP are a proprietary codec that only computers with FCP installed on can view.

[Kristyn Woods] "How to I export these clips to their original format?"

You can't. FCP cannot export to the P2 card format.

[Kristyn Woods] "But I can't give him the original clips because they are too long and there are simply too many of them."

Then what you need to so is give them the original card backups, and then timecode numbers for the areas you want them to look at.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 28, 2013 at 6:20:45 pm

MXf isn't the only thing Avid can use, though; he should be able to read a ProRes 444 file, so if you convert your individual clips to pro res from the timeline export function or by using Compressor, that will generate clips he can work with, without any quality loss.

Or am I missing something? MXF will let you link back tot he original cards but in a situation where the cards are for whatever reason erased or unavailable, you might s well treat the shortened clips as new "originals" and log them in.

I would suggest though that where possible, you leave long "handles" on either end of the shots you trim, so the Avid editor has the extra frames needed to cover transitions like dissolves and wipes later. If you cut the clips too short, without any extra "handles", you will make the Avid guy's life miserable.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 28, 2013 at 8:51:26 pm

ProRes444 is way overkill. ProRes 422 will be fine. Means you'll have to convert

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]