FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where can I get FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sandy khan
Where can I get FCP 7?
on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:16:05 pm

Hi dear community - having just completed a short video editing course using FCP7, I'm ready to download FCP7 and get going on my own. Can members tell me where to download it 'safely' and reliably or purchase it? Many, many thanks in advance!
Sandy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Where can I get FCP 7?
on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:34:37 pm

It isn't a downloadable app. Never has been. Apple only sold it as physical install disks. It was discontinued over two years ago, so the only place you'll really find it are eBay or craigslist.

Note that I said that it was discontinued. Meaning no longer made, no longer supported...and soon will be phased out of use. It might last a couple more years, by people who invested heavily in it and use it until they no longer can...so your editing course wasn't all for naught.

But, you'd be much better served looking into getting more current editing software. FCP-X is the new version of FCP that Apple is making, and it is very useful in many many markets. Then there's Adobe Premeire Pro CC (you can get that as a monthly subscription of $20)...Avid Media Composer (used in major TV productions and feature film)...and then PC editing apps like Sony Vegas, Edius...and so on.

On the Mac, you have FCX, Adobe and Avid. Which one you choose is all based on your needs and what type of videos you want to edit, and deliver. If you do still want a copy of FCP 7, and find one on ebay...I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it...because it is very very old, out of date, and discontinued.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Where can I get FCP 7?
on Jul 28, 2013 at 6:32:44 pm

ironically, demand created by Apple when they introduced FCPX has goosed sales prices on ebay for the old software and I don't think you'll find a complete version of the FCS3 suite for less than $500. And FCPx is $300. That's gotta hurt. :-)

In another year, I predict FCS-3 (FCP7) will start to drop in price, as the new Power Mac tower comes in and 7 becomes less and less relevant in the market, and fewer machines stay un-updated in order to still run it. That's what will finally kill off 7: when you have to switch to a newer Apple OS that no longer supports it, or Quicktime, at all. I expect Mavericks OS will probably do that. If you want to just leave your machine and OS alone as-is for however many years, you can still play nice in 7 and be productive. But nobody can say for sure, for how long .

But don't worry too much: everybody tells me Premiere is so similar to FCP7, that you can jump over to it and hardly miss a beat. It's never been so much about the specific software, but about knowing what to DO with it, that counts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]