FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reading Avid Adrenaline projects in FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Cohen
Reading Avid Adrenaline projects in FCP 6
on Jul 26, 2013 at 1:38:18 pm

I know the standard to do this before was Automatic Duck.

Is this still the case or has Avid mad any advances in becoming more FCP friendly.

I have a series that my company is looking to take out of house to shoot and edit, because they were told they can get it done faster and cheaper.

We all know that faster and cheaper usually results in headaches, but it is not my place to talk them out of it. I need to figure out how to deal with it after the fact.

Any number of scenarios can come up, so it's hard to outline them here, I'm looking for advice from people who have dealt with this on a regular basis.

The main scenario I can see is that we get a finished show from the company and then find out that some revisions need to be made, but don't have the time to send it back to them to do. So we need to open it up and fix it.

We may have access to the raw media, we may not depending on the scenario and time frame.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: ading Avid Adrenaline projects in FCP 6
on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:37:02 pm

The company that does the editing will have to do the revisions. And management's notion of"faster and cheaper" correspondingly goes out the window. The reason: they're not considering the TOTAL editing process, only the part that might save them a couple of bucks.

Penny-wise, pound-foolish...

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Jul 26, 2013 at 8:23:27 pm

I totally agree with you Dave, but getting them to see that is not easy.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:58:46 pm

What was the main reason why your company did this work in the first place? Could it have been to have greater control over the production process? And now they want to relinquish that control to save a few bucks?

See anything wrong with this picture? Especially when they seem to have forgotten about the most expensive part of the process, i.e. making changes to an already-completed project that need to be changed RIGHT NOW?

I understand that your original question was NOT, "How do I change this situation,", but rather, "How do I cope with a bad situation?"

Sorry, can't help you there authoritatively -- never had to go from Avid to FCP to make changes.

I just had to vent over the usually-mistaken notion that saving a bit of money and time at one point in the process means saving money and time throughout the process.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 26, 2013 at 4:35:59 pm

The Duck is an option...it is free now. BUT...it doesn't open the project, you need to export an AAF from Avid in order to get it to work.

Boris has a tool for this too...NOT free. But it does a better job in some respects. Again, you need that AAF.

Avid Media Composer is $999. If your company wants to make revisions without going back to the company...then owning the software to do it would be wise. But as Dave said, always better to have the company that did the edit do the revisions. They know the footage better, and as it sounds, they know the tools to accomplish those changes better.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Jul 26, 2013 at 8:33:16 pm

You guys are preaching to the choir.

I know it is not an easy task, and the last time I looked into it was about 5 years ago and was "hoping" that things had changed a bit and there was some way of working with the 2 a little more harmoniously.

Look we used to have the same problem between FCP and Premier, but Adobe got smart and made their software much more comparable with FCP.

Boris is something to look into as is a copy of Avid.

Any issue with taking an Avid project from PC to MAC, besides the usually of PC and Mac drive compatibility?

I'm not sure what platform this Avid system is on, but I want to have as many bases covered as I can.

Thanks again for you comments.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 26, 2013 at 9:17:34 pm

[Steven Cohen] "I know it is not an easy task, and the last time I looked into it was about 5 years ago and was "hoping" that things had changed a bit and there was some way of working with the 2 a little more harmoniously."

No, it's gotten worse. First off, FCP 7 has been discontinued, two years ago. And it's 4 years old. Nothing has, nor will change there. And FCX is so incompatible with everything, EVEN FCP 7, that third party apps are needed to get anything into or out of it...unless you go to Resolve. Project from FCP 7 to FCX? Need an app. FCX to FCP 7? Need an app. FCX to ProTools? Need an app. FCX to Avid? Forgetaboutit.

[Steven Cohen] "Any issue with taking an Avid project from PC to MAC, besides the usually of PC and Mac drive compatibility?"

No issues. Works fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 27, 2013 at 5:59:05 pm

Even with the duck, there are a lot of issues. It's not like it's going to open up your project and it'll be ready to go. Generators, titles, transitions, effects will all be a mess. Pretty decent for cuts and dissolves, IF you can even get the media to come across. Last time I tried it, it was a mess, and the Avid and FCP 7 were running on the same machine. Both latest versions. About 4 months ago.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]