FORUMS: list search recent posts

c300 Native or ProRes, does it really matter?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Wilbur
c300 Native or ProRes, does it really matter?
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:54:56 am

Hey Guys,

Sorry to churn this up a bit as it seems to have been discussed a little bit elsewhere, but I have a few questions about FCP7 and the c300.

Specifically, is there any reason not to L&T the .MXF files Natively? I know FCP7 works best with Pro Res, but I haven't seen any performance issues that sometimes happen with EOS H264 with the .MXF files (yet, maybe they will come). It seems like Pro Res also just ends up taking more time and hard drive space, and so there is no reason to import the c300 clips as such... but maybe there is something I'm missing?

Also, is it normal for my Native .MXF L&T clips to show a Data Rate of 6.1 MB/sec and a codec as XDCAM? I know that the c300 is XDCAM based, but that bit rate seems way off...

System Specs
8GB Ram
FCP 7.0.3
Working off a 1 TB EHD w/Firewire 800

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: c300 Native or ProRes, does it really matter?
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:19:29 am

Capital M capital B

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 25, 2013 at 7:28:17 am

Main reason is performance. FCP does better with ProRes over the long GOP of XDCAM. And yes, it will come in as XDCAM as the C300 shoots XDCAM to MXF. When you consolidate native into Avid, it comes in as XDCAM.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 28, 2013 at 2:55:55 am

[Dylan Wilbur] " is it normal for my Native .MXF L&T clips to show a Data Rate of 6.1 MB/sec and a codec as XDCAM? "
That's exactly what your footage is: XDCAM-HD 422/50Mbps.

No reason to convert to Prores unless you intend to edit with many layers.
Edit native and before exporting change the sequence settings to Prores (422 or HQ) and "Render in High Precision".
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]