FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consolidating clips with Sony XD Cam Transfer into Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Mallozzi
Consolidating clips with Sony XD Cam Transfer into Final Cut Pro 7
on Jul 23, 2013 at 6:28:15 pm

We just switched over from HDV tapes to digital. We have a Sony PMW-200, which is technically classified as a XD camera. So, when we import our many more clips into FCP, we need to use Sony XD Cam Transfer software.

We have so many more clips now than we used to! My question is--Can we consolidate or combine or join any of the smaller clips into one big clip ("scene" clips with all the little clips combined)? Right now, we import all the clips individually and then we make a sequence called Scene Rushes, where we combine the little clips into a big sequence.

If we can combine clips through XD Cam transfer, that's fantastic. If not, we are willing to try other software too.

I called Sony to ask if it was possible to combine the importing clips and I got a blunt "no. Your editing program should be doing that." I guess we could combine them in the Scene Rushes sequence in FCP, then export as a QT and then bring it back into FCP, but that will take forever and kind of defeats the purpose, if you ask me.

Any help?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Consolidating clips with Sony XD Cam Transfer into Final Cut Pro 7
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:14:07 pm

FCP won't do it. The XDCAM transfer utility won't do it. Scene Rushes are the only way to go when it comes to tapeless. The only way that separate tapeless files are joined, is if they are "spanned," meaning that one TAKE is split up into multiple files. Multiple camera starts and stops, where you press the record button...those don't get joined.

If you want to end up with a tape-style clip...you need to make a "KEM ROLL" sequence.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Consolidating clips with Sony XD Cam Transfer into Final Cut Pro 7
on Jul 26, 2013 at 1:11:12 pm

Give a try to the "CONCATENATOR" that you can download for free here:

http://www.convergent-design.com/Downloads.aspx

rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>