FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a project with two different frame rates in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam veater
Exporting a project with two different frame rates in FCP7
on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:45:34 am

Somebody please help!

I have just finished editing my short video on Final Cut Pro 7 and am now having problems exporting (stuttering and dropped frames).

I have only just noticed that out of the two cameras that were used, one camera was shot with 25 fps, and the other 23.9 fps.

The majority of the footage is from the 23.9 fps camera.

Both have a frame size of 1920 x 1080, and both have a pixel aspect ratio - square. All footage is h.264 (I know I should have not edited in this codec for fcp7- but its too late to change now)

So my question is, is there a way of exporting this project without having to compress half the footage and put it back in the time line. this will just take so much more work. are there any settings that I can export on that can handle these varying frame rates?

Thanks so much.

Samantha.

Return to posts index

sam veater
Re: Exporting a project with two different frame rates in FCP7
on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:14:43 am

And if you are going tell me to compress half my footage so it all matches, what setting do i use in compressor?

x

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting a project with two different frame rates in FCP7
on Jul 23, 2013 at 4:54:43 pm

You just did everything wrong, didn't you? :)

This is ideally what you should have done:

1) Convert all your footage to ProRes.

2) Conform your 25fps footage to 23.98 footage with CINEMA TOOLS. This will speed it up slightly, but unless you are going to multicam the footage, it's unnoticeable. You'd have to adjust the pitch of the audio a little to make it match. How much? No clue, sorry.

or

2a) Use the STANDARDS CONVERTER pluging from nattress.com. Although I think that's for converting 25fps to 30fps...wonder if it works for 23.98?

Or

2b) Use Compressor and set all the FRAME CONTROLS in the INSPECTOR to BEST. Wait a long time.

3) Edit in a 23.98 timeline.

You skipped ALL of that. What to do now? Well, can't use Cinema Tools because it doesn't work with H.264. You can try the Standards Converter, see if it works for 23.98...unsure how it will react to H.264 in an FCP timeline, as FCP doesn't work with this format well at all. You can try Compressor, but then you'd be converting back to H.264? Or going to ProRes, and then relink. then change your SEQUENCE SETTINGS: Compressor to ProRes from H.264.

Then spank your camera people for doing that to you. And slap yourself for doing just about everything wrong that you could.

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jana Rothenberg
Re: Exporting a project with two different frame rates in PPCC
on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:04:14 am

I have completed a job with 29.97 and 59.94 fps in premiere pro cc (on Mac MtnLion). I converted the 29.97 to 59.94 so the whole movie would be same frame rate so I could run it through iDVD for TV and computer viewing.

The image is not great but I met my deadline. What are my other options for working with various frame rates in Premiere Pro CC and iDVD?

Thank you!
Jana

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]