FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing for Television- Where to Start

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emma DeGraz
Editing for Television- Where to Start
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:38:56 pm

Hello

I am a Final Cut editor (making the switch to Avid soon) and I am not too far into my career. I have always worked as an in-house editor producing videos for the web. I've almost never had the occasion to edit anything for television, and I'd like to start learning the process- how it is different from post-production for the web. Can anyone suggest any resources (online, books, classes, etc...) to get me started?

Thanks in advance
Emma

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Editing for Television- Where to Start
on Jul 22, 2013 at 2:50:02 pm

First of all, meet other editors, talk, listen, and learn. See if there is a Meetup.com group or Users group in your area for editing or production.

Here are a couple of books to start with;

The Technique of Film And Video Editing: History, Theory, And Practice
By Ken Dancyger

Make the Cut: A Guide to Becoming a Successful Assistant Editor in Film and TV
By Diana Friedberg

Plus, you can never go wrong taking a workshop in Rockport Maine. Well worth the trip.
http://www.mainemedia.edu/workshops/filmmaking/art-editing

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing for Television- Where to Start
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:12:25 pm

Become an assistant editor on shows that air on TV. You'll learn a LOT that way. There is so much different that it can't all be said in a post. And I don't think there are books on the topic of specifically what it takes to get a TV show cut. My Blog touches on bits and pieces of things, like working with multiple editors on shows, getting shows to time (meaning that they have to have a very specific running time).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]