FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP editing formats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Bigda
FCP editing formats
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:06:46 pm

My company is going to be upgrading to HD and our server is Omneon and they are saying we should use MPEG2 QT movie format on FCP. Is this going to cause issues with editing? For example long renders. We could also switch to XD cam file format. Which would be better? I know that we should be using prores but that is apparently out of the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: FCP editing formats
on Jul 22, 2013 at 2:06:59 pm

[Michael Bigda] " they are saying we should use MPEG2 QT movie format on FCP. Is this going to cause issues with editing? For example long renders."

First - who is the "they" in this sentence?

Second - FCP really doesn't like MPEG2 format. ProRes is without a doubt the most FCP-friendly format. TO the best of my knowledge FCP won't even ingest MPEG2 format. So you'll have to convert it to something.

[Michael Bigda] "We could also switch to XD cam file format. Which would be better?"

XDCAM wrapped in a Quicktime would be galaxies better than trying to wrestle with MPEG2.

[Michael Bigda] "I know that we should be using prores but that is apparently out of the question."

Why is it out of the question? Speed? Conversion time? Storage?

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 22, 2013 at 2:46:02 pm

Use MXF Op1a wrapped HD XDCAM 35. You will use the Sony Cinemon plug-in for import into FCP.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-datastorage/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets...

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Bigda
on Jul 22, 2013 at 2:57:09 pm

Thanks for your response. Our server is Omneon and they are the ones saying to use Mpeg2 or XD cam. They said Prores was not an option. Currently we are using IMX30 but they said that it is SD only. My company is looking to keep the same storage space when we switch over to HD and they are saying that MPEG2 would use the least amount of storage. I have been pushing them to use prores for years and they keep saying it wont keep the captioning if we have reedit something.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 23, 2013 at 12:28:47 am

XDCam is basically MPEG2 and in that form it is a codec that FCP can edit although it isn't as reliable and elegant as ProRes. With storage so cheap these days, I would evaluate the productivity versus storage argument. Alternatively explore Premiere as an editor that may work directly with your existing MPEG2 files.

I am not sure the captioning would survive conversion to XDCam and then edit in FCP and back out as MPEG2. Lots of testing required. Again Premiere might pass through captioning unharmed.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jul 23, 2013 at 1:39:28 pm

We use an Omneon server for playout here. We do all of out editing in FCP using ProRes for the production. After the project is finished we convert the file to mpeg2 for import into the Omneon. We have a watch folder setup using Flip Factory to do the conversion. You can also do the conversion using Compressor. If you enable the virtual cluster function it tales only a minute or two to convert a 30 second spot. Stay out of the mpeg2 format until the last minute and you'll preserve the most quality.
The finished format for Omneon needs to be mpeg2 (actually Omneon's version of it). You can do the editing in any format you like.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]