FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP degrades ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Hecker
FCP degrades ProRes
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:17:05 pm

I am importing beautiful ProRes 422 into FCP. Video is crushed, irregularly. Some scenes it seems to crush to 50% video levels on the scope.

Here's the workflow. We cut offline using FCP (FCP7 to be specific). Most of our offline footage is ProRes proxy of original Red footage, with sore other odd formats including stills mixed in. We then take the cut XML into Premiere, using the Red source controls to do the color correction with R3D. We do too much keyframed re-framing and effects to be able to do this pass directly in RedCineX. Premiere, we get what we need, The output is beautiful. Export as ProRes422. In quicktime, the exported file still looks beautiful. Importing that exact file into FCP (to mix the sound, add graphics and other format content) it looks horrible. Video levels are all over the place. A scene that was deliberately dark has 15% black levels. A scene that clipped a window, takes the window to 100% and the actors face to about 40%. So its like a video limiter is engaged, but I don't know where to turn it off. Even scenes without bright spots are 70%, with no explainable reason.

Return to posts index

Andrew Hecker
Re: FCP degrades ProRes
on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:41:35 am

I get my picture back to normal by applying a gamma level of .5 On a second computer, I don't have the same problem with the same file, so it must be a set up issue on this one computer. What could it be?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]