FORUMS: list search recent posts

Waveform monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter crawford
Waveform monitor
on Jul 21, 2013 at 10:20:14 am

Perplexing issue with scopes.
Ive used fcp's scopes for a long time and am not too bad at reading them for grading, however ive just bought a broadcast monitor (panasonic BTLH1850) which has onboard scopes and am having huge issues matching the two.
There seems to be a gigantic difference, ie if I set black and luma levels at 0 and 100 on the monitor and end up with a nice looking pucture, fcp's waveform shows the blacks at 20% and brights at 90%.
Looks great on the monitor and a little washed out on my screen.
I guess ive just got to trust the monitor but it doesnt fill me with much confidence seeing the internal scopes so far off.
Are fcp's scopes crap? Does this mean that everything ive graded in the past using fc scopes was way off?

I dont really understand this.

Am seeing a similiar difference in premiere.

Km running fcp6 on 24" imac and ouputing through the mini dvi port.

Thanks
Peter

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Waveform monitor
on Jul 21, 2013 at 4:24:32 pm

[peter crawford] "Km running fcp6 on 24" imac and ouputing through the mini dvi port"

This setup will never give you the proper output. There is a huge difference between a Computer output and a Broadcast Video output. That is why it is necessary to have some type of I/O device such as AJA, Blackmagic or Matrox.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

peter crawford
Re: Waveform monitor
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:02:49 am

Thanks, yeh I thought that might be the case.
Im aware that this setup might not give accurate colours are you saying this is likely the reason for the big discrepency between the waveforms also.
Until I can afford to get a better setup, which monitor should I trust/use? My work is largly non BC.

Thanks

paxpincer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]