FORUMS: list search recent posts

5gig .mov file upload to ftp.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cameron Spencer
5gig .mov file upload to ftp.
on Jul 17, 2013 at 5:06:53 am

(This is my first time posting on Creative Cow. Just gotta say how much I appreciate reading posts and the time people put into helping each other. It's lovely.)

I need to upload a hi-res 6 minute file that is 5 gigs to an ftp server. I exported the file as an H.264, Best Quality, 1920x1080 .mov file. The file will be used by the client for broadcast and needs to be high quality. I've never done hi-res ftp before, only low-res. (Previously I delivered hi-res projects on a hard drive but I know I'm out-dated and need to know how to make it all happen on-line.) I began uploading the 5gig file and after 3 hours called a friend who said it could take 20 hours. He advised me to use the h.264 iPad/iphone 4 setting in compressor which I did. The file is now only 464 mb. Is this file going to be good enough quality for broadcast?

What are the best export settings for broadcast quality files? What is the best way to upload a large file to a ftp?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: 5gig .mov file upload to ftp.
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:09:57 pm

Short answer NO.
That amount of compression won't be suitable for broadcast.

I'm delivering similar sized files to a broadcaster at the moment and we've tried a few things and basically it's come back to me going in with a hard drive.

For sending big files over the internet, Aspera has been recommended to me, but I haven't done enough with it to really comment about it yet myself.

Return to posts index

Cameron Spencer
on Jul 17, 2013 at 1:33:47 pm

Thank you so much.

Do you think that exporting it at "High" quality is good enough for Broadcast? I know the client will want it uploaded to the internet so I have to find the best way to compress it and maintain high quality.

Thanks for letting me know about Aspera.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:28:29 am

I'm no expert at this, but at full ProRes 422, a 6 min file would be about 6 min. ProRes is a gig a minute give or take. Compressing an h264 at full quality will yield almost the same file size as ProRes. Dropping the quality to 75% drops the file size to a ridiculously smaller file size, and I've never been able to tell the difference with my naked eye.

BTW- a 6 gig upload should only take a couple hours on a standard 3mb/sec upload cable modem. Maybe 3-4 if it's not hitting top speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]