FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash frames when I use iDVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Anderson
Flash frames when I use iDVD
on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:24:29 pm

I have an odd issue and immediately thought to rely on the CC Community. I have a 90 minute file exported from FCP7, using h.264 at 1280 x 720. It's around 1.5 gigs. I have had great success with this setting and it plays smoothly. However, when I make a DVD using iDVD, I get an occasional flash frame from a different picture, then I noticed the audio goes out of sync. I am lost as to why this is happening.

I noticed on my MacBookPro that I am low on RAM and it seems a bit clunky at times. Could it be that my computer speed can't keep up with such a long project?

I deliver the project tomorrow so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Flash frames when I use iDVD
on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:45:41 pm

[Mark Anderson] " I have a 90 minute file exported from FCP7, using h.264 at 1280 x 720."

*BUZZZZ!!!* That's the issue. That's wrong. Don't do that. Export from FCP a self contained QT file using the sequence settings, then let iDVD compress to the DVD format. What you are doing is compressing twice...to H.264, then to MPEG-2 for DVD.

That setting will play smoothly on it's own, as that is a deliverable codec...H.264. That would be fine if that was your last step, but it isn't. So export the self contained QT, and let iDVD do the compressing.

What are your sequence settings in FCP?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:56:41 pm

Thanks, Shane. I am not sure where to find system settings. What should they be set at?

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Jul 16, 2013 at 11:04:44 pm

Shane, my settings are 720 x 480 firewire NTSC. Should that be ok to export a self-contained QT movie?
Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 16, 2013 at 11:08:05 pm

720x480? Then you had a few things going on. First off, your sequence is SD...DV to boot...480i, and you exported it at a higher, HD resolution...720p. And then when you make the DVD...it goes back to 480i (DVDs are SD).

So yeah, export a self contained QT movie...it'll look a lot better than what you have been doing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Jul 16, 2013 at 11:10:30 pm

Thanks, Shane!!! I am on it and compressing new file now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]