FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD to ProRes 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Edwards
AVCHD to ProRes 422
on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:11:48 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to transcode an AVCHD folder through FCP7's log and transfer function. Unfortunately, every time the log hits a certain clip near the end of the list, FCP quits 'unexpectedly'. I can see the media duration for the clip in question is quite long at 1hr 35mins. I have tried setting the capture scratch to different locations on different drives but the same problem occurs.

Any ideas guys? Is there a better, more reliable way to transcode AVCHD to ProRes422?

Incidently, I've noticed in the past that the number of transcoded ProRes clips doesn't correlate to the number of .mts files from the pre-transcoded AVCHD folder. Does anyone know why this is?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVCHD to ProRes 422
on Jul 16, 2013 at 5:57:50 pm

[Ashley Edwards] "Any ideas guys? Is there a better, more reliable way to transcode AVCHD to ProRes422?"

If FCP fails, then the best alternative is CLIPWRAP2 from divergentmedia.com. Since FCP is 4 years old, not all AVCHD formats, some newer versions, work with it well.

[Ashley Edwards] "Incidently, I've noticed in the past that the number of transcoded ProRes clips doesn't correlate to the number of .mts files from the pre-transcoded AVCHD folder. Does anyone know why this is?"

Yes. SD card formats have a file size limit of 4GB. Any lengthy shots that go over that are broken up into multiple files on the card. FCP and other NLE's will "stitch" them together. Unfortunately ClipWrap2 cannot. You will get separate files.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ashley Edwards
Re: AVCHD to ProRes 422
on Jul 17, 2013 at 7:46:07 am

Shane, that's a great help. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]