FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon60D H.264 files -> apple pro res422 -> FCP timeline settings -> export format for web

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zara Mann
Canon60D H.264 files -> apple pro res422 -> FCP timeline settings -> export format for web
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:54:01 am

I have 1080 x 1920 H.264 video files from my Canon60D which I converted to AppleProRes422 using MPEG Streamclip then imported into FCP. In the past I have allowed FCP to change the sequence settings to match the file settings. I read on your forums to get better quality for web you can set them to be AppleProRes422 1280 x 720. I want to get the best quality looking image for web use, it wont have that many effects on it, mainly a proDAD Mercalli 2.0 plug in used on them to stabilise wobbles, colour correction and some speed changes.

Q1. Would it be best to put footage into AppleProRes422 1280 x 720?
Q2. What settings should I use to export? I could export using Quick Time Conversion as AppleProRes422 which doesn't allow me to change a slider for quality and is automatically medium quality, I could then use MPEG Streamclip to convert these H.264 for upload to web.
OR I could export them straight to H.264 from FCP.

I really appreciate these forums, thank you for your time and support

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Canon60D H.264 files -> apple pro res422 -> FCP timeline settings -> export format for web
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:44:39 pm

Why do you want to put 1080 footage into a 720 timeline? You won't gain quality by doing that unless you plan on doing some pan/scan. At that point you would only be preserving your quality by allowing yourself more room to scale before FCP has to take over and create pixels (anything over 100% scale you're asking the software to create data that isn't there).

Exporting is simple. Just use the "Send to Compressor" command and use one of the web presets to get started. If you're going to the web you'll likely be using a mp4 container with the h.264 codec. There are several in Compressor to get you started. You can tweak from there.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Zara Mann
Re: Canon60D H.264 files -> apple pro res422 -> FCP timeline settings -> export format for web
on Jul 17, 2013 at 10:35:42 pm

I think I has assumed that 720 was more appropriate for web. No other reason. Don't need to do pan/scan.

Cheers for your help

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 17, 2013 at 10:50:51 pm

[Zara Mann] "I think I has assumed that 720 was more appropriate for web. No other reason."

1080 is fine for web delivery on Vimeo, YouTube, etc. Just make sure the footage is progressive (de-interlace if necessary). Only time I would vote for 720p is over 1080i (i being interlaced footage), but if you shot 1080p then by all means use 1080p! Upload the best you can!

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]