FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm at Wits End with the "WARNING: DROPPED FRAMES DURING PLAYBACK"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Richards
I'm at Wits End with the "WARNING: DROPPED FRAMES DURING PLAYBACK"
on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:17:03 pm

I imagine that if you're reading this that you know what I'm talking about. What are the best settings to help minimize or eliminate this from happening?

Thank you!

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: I'm at Wits End with the "WARNING: DROPPED FRAMES DURING PLAYBACK"
on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:20:20 pm

I prefer to drag my clip into the time line and let FCP ask me if I want to change my timeline to the settings of the clip. Keep in mind that your clips can't be RAW clips. If you are working with a DSLR like the 5D you still have to log and transfer the clips even though they are Quicktimes, since they are H.264 Quicktimes. They won't play properly in FCP. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:23:38 pm

The clips are from a DSLR but they were logged and transferred. While they weren't dragged into the timeline I did re-size and added key frames. Would this be a factor in my getting the error message?

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:52:22 pm

It depends. You can always render the timeline. For real time playback in a pinch you should check out this tutorial: http://library.creativecow.net/smith_stephen/fcp-quick-tips/1

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:21:49 pm

User Preferences/Report dropped frames on playback/Uncheck box

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:16:36 pm

Where is this media stored? What sort of hard drive, and connected how? What's the speed of this drive? 5400RPM, 7200RPM?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 15, 2013 at 8:40:50 pm

Do your sequence settings and clip setting match exactly (this was alluded to earlier but not asked outright)?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:05:20 pm

Thank you all for replying!

Andrew: Yes, I think so.
Stephen: I've watched your video and will try all that you suggested r.e. changing the Unlimited RT, etc.
John: I've done as you suggested
Shane: The drive that the media is on is a 7200rpm and is connected to my computer via Firewire800

Some more details:
The original footage was shot on a DSLR. The raw footage mov's were transferred from the SD card directly to the hard drive which I then imported into FCP.
The sequence preset is set to HDV 1080p30

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:08:06 pm

What codec did you Log and Transfer the footage to? It defaults to ProRes. If that's the case, you should NOT but using HDV sequence settings. HDV is the worse format to choose. As stated before, your sequence settings and clip settings should match...when you add a clip to the sequence, you should see NO render bar at all.

Make a new sequence, add a clip to it, when FCP asks "do you want this to match the clip?" click YES. Copy and paste your sequence from the old on to this one.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:10:40 pm

I never logged and transferred anything. The raw movs were copied to the external hdd and then simply imported into FCP. Despite my having chosen HDV when I put the clip into the sequence I do click on yes so that media and the sequence settings match.

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:16:01 pm

[Lawrence Richards] "I never logged and transferred anything."

To quote your second post in this thread:
"The clips are from a DSLR but they were logged and transferred."

Thus we assumed that you did things right and that the issue wasn't really obvious.

[Lawrence Richards] "The raw movs were copied to the external hdd and then simply imported into FCP."

BUZZZZZZ!!!! Wrong thing to do. This issue is brought up daily here at the Cow and elsewhere. People bringing in the RAW files from DSLR and thinking it'll work in FCP. It won't. FCP does not like H.264 files from DSLRs...at all. The big problem is that it SEEMS like it will. And that's Apple's fault. They did fix that in FCX, but not in FCP 7.

You need to convert the footage to ProRes. Use the Canon Log and Transfer plugin and use LOG AND TRANSFER, or use COMPRESSOR, or MPEG STREAMCLIP, or Magic Bullet GRINDER, or 5DtoRGB...something, to convert that footage to ProRes.

I thought we told you this before...must be my failing memory...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:19:33 pm

When I first started replying to this thread I did mention that I logged and transferred the footage. I was wrong about that and instead did what I've mentioned since.

I don't think you mentioned the workflow before Shane - at least not to me - but I'll get on that asap. Thank you all for the help.

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:23:32 pm

Sorry, I mention it to a lot of people, and your pic looks familiar, I thought I set you on the right path when you first started posting.

Click here:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digita...

Then click on DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE, choose the MAC OS, then your version of that, and click on SOFTWARE to get the EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro 1.4. That should allow you to use LOG AND TRANSFER. Please use the tutorial linked to by Stephen Smith....

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:12:30 pm

[Lawrence]
Some more details:
The original footage was shot on a DSLR. The raw footage mov's were transferred from the SD card directly to the hard drive which I then imported into FCP.
The sequence preset is set to HDV 1080p30

You have to log and transfer your DSLR footage into FCP you can't just import the clips. Shane has a great tutorial on this and I'm sure he will be willing to post a link to it.

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:13:33 pm

Just found Shane's tutorial, here it is: http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:12:45 pm

The sequence settings from the sequence itself is 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i(16:9), H264

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]