FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video output disabled, can't find answer from the existing posts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dingdang Ding
Video output disabled, can't find answer from the existing posts
on Jul 14, 2013 at 10:55:43 pm

Hi
I have a 13" MacBook pro, the only upgrade I did to this machine was for Ram to 8G now, I have, FCP studio3, but couldn't use color because of the resolution. Yesterday I just got a 1920x1280 big BENQ monitor and started using color, it's plugged in through firewire port. sequence sent from FCP without problem, but timeline in Color has a Red line over clips, no video preview, and the video output is disabled. Do I need to upgrade anything else on this machine or get any new devices in order to be able to use color and DaVinCi 9 Lite?
Many thanks in advance. I know these are so easy to you, but so hard to me to figure out.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Video output disabled, can't find answer from the existing posts
on Jul 15, 2013 at 2:13:16 am

I don't have the full specs of your 13" MBP, but graphic cards do have their limits.
Firewire is not the way to connect a second display. VGA, DVI or display Port should be your options.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dingdang Ding
on Jul 15, 2013 at 2:05:24 pm

Hi Steve
Thank you, yes my bad it is the display port. So does that mean if I upgrade the graphic card, everything will be ok?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:15:12 pm

Color doesn't work with Firewire out. It is designed to work with IO cards and devices, like AJA.com and decklink.com and matrox.com make. Color doesn't even work with pro IO devices that connect via firewire, like the AJA IOHD. It works with PCIe card IO, Express34 card IO, and Thunderbolt connected devices only.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dingdang Ding
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:43:44 am

Hi Shane
I said wrong, it is via the display port. So I need to buy an I/o device, how about graphic card? Do I need to upgrade? To what? If I use fcpx, do I still have the same problems?
Thank you again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:01:00 am

[Dingdang Ding] "So I need to buy an I/o device, how about graphic card?"

Color uses the GFX card to aid in rendering, but not for viewing on a broadcast monitor or HDTV. For that you need the IO device. Note...the port MUST BE a Thunderbolt port...mini Display Port won't work. Must be thunderbolt. What year is your MacBook Pro? Is it the newer RETINA one?

[Dingdang Ding] "Do I need to upgrade? To what?"

If your computer doesn't have Thunderbolt out, you'll need to upgrade to one that does.

[Dingdang Ding] "If I use fcpx, do I still have the same problems?"

Well, you can play the image full screen on another computer monitor with FCX, and it might do it in decent quality. But it does work with IO devices as well...same connection requirements apply. And I know darn little about FCX, so take my advice with it lightly.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dingdang Ding
on Jul 16, 2013 at 2:32:57 pm

Hi
No I bought mine in 2010, older model. So I edit videos, so it would be great if I can do some color grading with color, I also downloaded the free DaVince Resolve 9 Lite, so in order to make this old machine work for me for these software, what else should I do, on top of I/o device? Which brand do you think is the best in terms of compatibility and speed?
Thank you again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 16, 2013 at 5:07:08 pm

[Dingdang Ding] "so in order to make this old machine work for me for these software, what else should I do, on top of I/o device?"

Nothing you can do with that model. It doesn't have PCIe nor Thunderbolt, so it work work with any IO device. That right there stops you from using Color and Resolve. You need a different machine if you want to use them. And Resolve only works with Decklink hardware, so the Decklink options are the only ones that work. The Decklink Ultrastudio Mini Monitor costs $145, connects via thunderbolt, and works with FCP, Color, Resolve, Adobe, Avid.

But you need a new machine.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dingdang Ding
on Jul 16, 2013 at 6:15:34 pm

Hi
Thank you very much, OMG, I will have to save up for that, these are great expert opinions that will help me get the right stuff later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]