FORUMS: list search recent posts

24.97fps??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yoshiko Tanaka
24.97fps??
on Jul 13, 2013 at 9:32:39 am

Hi,

I am trying to export my 29.97fps FCP file to 25fps. No matter how I do it the final QT movie appears as 24.97fps. Does anyone know how to export a movie with 25fps? Please help!

y

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: 24.97fps??
on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:20:28 pm

You can not export directly to 25fps. What you need to do is export a QuickTime Movie from FCP and bring that into Compressor. Once in Compressor, you can choose the export codec you need and manipulate your frame rate. Your other alternative is to get the Nattress standards conversion plug in to do this in FCP.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:55:23 pm

And never trust what Quicktime says the speed is. It is highly inaccurate.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Yoshiko Tanaka
on Jul 13, 2013 at 8:17:34 pm

Thank you for your answer. While I was waiting I googled and found out about Cinema Tools and used it to convert the quicktime to 25fps. It appears as 25fps in various players. Do you think it's ok or it's still better to use the FCP compressor? I would love to hear opinion. Thank you!

y

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 13, 2013 at 8:31:51 pm

By using Cinema Tools you CONFORMED the frame rate to 25. It now runs a bit slower because you took a slightly higher frame rate and changed it. To CONVERT the frame rate -- which is changing the frame rate without altering its speed -- use Compressor.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 13, 2013 at 10:00:33 pm

29.97 to 25 is a huge slow down - just over 16%. That will look weird and change the audio pitch dramatically.

Compressor to convert as Dave said not Cinema Tools conform is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jul 13, 2013 at 10:47:09 pm

i suspect Yoshiko has exported a 29.97 timeline as 25fps.

and this displayed as 24.97 in QT for whatever reason,
and it is this same file that was conformed to 25.

so the playback speed should be pretty accurate, BUT there will be a missing frame every 6 frames,
making for very jerky motion.

who knows... if the piece is all still images, no one will notice!

but the correct approach is to export a QT movie, same settings.
then convert that in COmpressor, oR bring it back into FCP, and use Nattress Standards Converter

nick

Return to posts index

Yoshiko Tanaka
on Jul 13, 2013 at 11:09:15 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for all your tips. What I did was to export 29.97fps movies to 24.97fps, then I used Cinema Tools to conform it to 25fps. I followed the tips above by using the FCP's compressor and exported it as 25fps. My piece is about 3 minutes so the difference turned out to be just 4 frames after all.

In any case it's great to have discovered this issue which I had no knowledge of before. Thanks all!

y

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]