FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is importing interlaced footage as progressive a problem?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Is importing interlaced footage as progressive a problem?
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:04:27 am

Hi folks,
I've shot a lot of interlaced footage, but mistakenly had my import settings (log and transfer) as progressive. My sequence is also progressive, and all seems to work fine. But, what I'm wondering is, have I lost any quality by importing the footage as progressive?
Thanks very much for any advice/help you can offer.
Vic

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is importing interlaced footage as progressive a problem?
on Jul 8, 2013 at 2:51:11 pm

Yes. You have lost image quality. The proper way to do this is to convert the footage to progressive BEFORE you import it into FCP. Compressor will do a creditable job, and Twixtor will do an even better job.

But there's nothing inherently wrong with interlaced footage, as long as it isn't going to vimeo, youtube, or some other web-only display.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jul 8, 2013 at 7:15:09 pm

Thanks, so much, for your help, Dave. Could you offer some more advice?
I may have started my project on the wrong foot, so to speak.
I've shot a wedding using both a DSLR (Canon T3i, which shoots progressive) and a camcorder (Canon Vixia, which shoots interlaced). Can you suggest settings I should use for my sequences?
Also, what's the best way to import/ingest each of these types of footage so as to maintain highest quality?
I'm pretty new to FCP7 (coming from FCE4), and I am really struggling to find the right set-up for the types of footage I have.
Any advice you can offer will be tremendously appreciated!
Thank you very much, Dave.
Vic

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:27:50 pm

The crucial question is whether your completed projects will be viewed on computers only, i.e. what do you need to DELIVER?

You deliver to DVDs? Mixing interlaced & progressive MIGHT be a problem... not necessarily one.

You deliver to web-only video? It needs to be progressive, and you need to convert that vixia video to progressive... or substitute another Canon DSLR to make things easier.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:37:27 pm

Thanks, again, Dave. I should've mentioned that I'm delivering on DVD. So, I'm wondering what is the best set-up in terms of Sequence, and ingesting/importing the two types of footage.
Vic

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 8, 2013 at 11:58:38 pm

You might consider deinterlacing all the visio footage with compressor before you use it. If the DVD is ONLY played on a DVD player on a TV set, ther's no problem mixing progressive and interlaced... but if the primary display device is a computer, you'll see the interlacing. It's your call.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]