FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Super 8: keeps going widescreen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Flowers
Final Cut Super 8: keeps going widescreen
on Jul 7, 2013 at 7:48:27 am

Hi, I'm trying to edit some super 8 footage in final cut 7 express. Everytime I drop in the footage it goes from being square to widescreen. How do I keep it square?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Final Cut Super 8: keeps going widescreen
on Jul 8, 2013 at 12:21:11 am

Both the clip and sequence needs to be setup for the correct aspect ratio. Check the clip info to see if the files are marked as anamorphic. If they are then untick anamorphic.

Is your sequence also 4:3 or is is 16:9? If it is mean to be 4:3 then uncheck anamorphic from the sequence timeline.

Return to posts index

Alex Flowers
on Jul 8, 2013 at 7:32:10 pm

In the item properties the clip comes up with a frame size of 1440 x 1080. How do I change this and what would I change it to, for a square format?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 8, 2013 at 11:59:25 pm

What are your sequence settings? Are you editing in HD?

If you have say a ProRes 1920 x 1080 sequence then the clips can be forced back to 4:3 with pillar boxing (black vertical bars on the side). When a 1440 x 1080 clip is dropped into a 1920 sequence it automatically stretches as 1440 x 1080 is a 'skinny raster' 16:9 format.

One way to force it is to select all clips in the timeline, remove attributes> distort and this should force it back into 4:3 square. I don't know Express so I hope it has that functionality. Otherwise you may have to open a clip and change the distort value until it goes back into 4:3. Copy that clip and paste the distort attributes to the other clips in the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]