FORUMS: list search recent posts

7d 60fps footage to FCP correct workflow for 30fps.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Pontones
7d 60fps footage to FCP correct workflow for 30fps.
on Jul 5, 2013 at 3:44:41 am

Hi, first post!
I shot a project with the 7D in 60fps for the slomo. In FCP 7, should I:
A) (after doing backups of original files) first log and transfer and transcode to apple pro res, THEN (after duplicating transcoded files) conform these clips in cinematools to 30fps (29.97) and import this media into FCP?
Or,
B) do I first conform all the H.264 clips from 60fps to 30fps with cinema tools AND THEN do the log and transfer and transcode to pro res?
Is there a right or better way to do this for quality or same result?
I do want to use the Log and transfer for the in and outs and logging tools instead of doing a batch transcode of everything in compressor or MPEG streamclip.

Thanks so much for your help!
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: 7d 60fps footage to FCP correct workflow for 30fps.
on Jul 5, 2013 at 4:58:03 am

I would do the speed change with Cinema Tools with the ProRes after L&T. You don't need to duplicate before converting as you can always go back to the camera originals and reconvert. I would'nt let Cinema Tools change the camera originals unless you had a good reason to. Even then it would be after a full backup.

An alternative is to use Compressor for just the 60 fps material and you can create 29.97 files as you convert.

Many here claim that 5dtoRGB is the best converter but L&T has the advantage of allowing an offline/online workflow with recapture.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 5, 2013 at 6:50:38 am

Just to add something; Conforming clips just change the file metadata. There is no rendering going on.
You keep the full original quality.
rafael

Return to posts index

Gabriel Pontones
on Jul 5, 2013 at 10:10:41 pm

Thanks for the replies! So the workflow would be: Log and transfer origianl 60fps files > go to these new files in capture scratch > conform these files in cinema tools > import these files into the browser... and erase the other clips from the browser that where created when I did the L&T?

Sounds like I'm not getting a step or two wrong, no?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2013 at 12:00:50 am

Delete the 60fps file from the FCP browser first, conform in Cinema Tools, reimport. You might be wise to add 'slo' to the end of the changed files so FCP sees them as a different file when reimporting.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Pontones
on Jul 6, 2013 at 12:03:21 am

Will try it out, thanks again!!!

Return to posts index

Gabriel Pontones
on Jul 12, 2013 at 12:00:12 am

Hello again, after trying out the suggested method, it seems to me I'm doing a step extra by first doing L&T, > delete files from browser> cinema tools > import files into fcp.
Is it not right, do I loose quality, to do first Cinematools, then L&T. THis way avoiding the delete and reimport steps?

Thanks again for the help!
Gabriel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]