FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding time line settings/ different formats of video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Goldblum
Understanding time line settings/ different formats of video
on Jul 5, 2013 at 12:05:36 am

Hi,

I am confused regarding what happens when I bring different formats of video onto the timeline. For example if I import using log and capture or log and transfer all those clips play back great and do not require much rendering. However if I import video using something like DVDxDV or SnapProX, my computer goes a 100 times slower. When I bring these files onto the timeline/sequence it prompts me to change my timeline settings.

Everything is unbearably slow....

Thanks for any help.

Just a novice...

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Understanding time line settings/ different formats of video
on Jul 5, 2013 at 12:17:13 am

FCP has limited real time capability and the codecs that work best are listed in the Easy Setups.

The software you are using to convert files must be able to create those files in an edit codec that is on that easy setup list.

By far the most useful, efficient and quality codecs are the ProRes family. Use them where possible for converting codecs like MPEG or H264 which are not good edit codecs.

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Jul 5, 2013 at 4:03:31 pm

It looks like the movies I am working with are .mpeg4s with a square pixel aspect ratio (what is that vs NTSC-CCIR 601?) I have brought the original files into Compressor and made them into Apple ProRes422 files. FCP seems happier. I guess this is a limitation regarding how I imported the movies (my only choices are .mov or .mpeg4s)

Hopefully this will help.

Thanks again,

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2013 at 12:03:13 am

mov is a file wrapper not a codec. mpeg4 is a codec and not one that FCP can edit without problems and constant renders.

Your ProRes files are best as it is an edit codec in a .mov wrapper which is what FCP needs.

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Jul 6, 2013 at 12:11:50 am

Thanks! I totally get it now. Back to editing.... Computer flying!

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 5, 2013 at 4:13:50 am

There are acquisition codecs, editing codecs and delivery codecs. FCP works best with editing codecs. As mentioned, these are in the easy setups.

Unfortunately today, there are far too many codecs. Each has its own algorithms to compress as much data as possible into a video file. The lower the bit rate, the more compressed it is. H.264 is by far the heaviest compressed. H.264 was meant to be a delivery codec.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]