FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit Suite Nightmare Realization - Can I convert 29.97 fps footage to fit seamlessly into 25fps timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Bania
Edit Suite Nightmare Realization - Can I convert 29.97 fps footage to fit seamlessly into 25fps timeline?
on Jul 3, 2013 at 1:12:37 pm

So, I'm in the midst of a short documentary project. All the shooting is done and dusted, with no chance of any pickups or re-shoots.

I jump into Final Cut to get the ball rolling and to my horror, one of the two cameras I was using was shooting at 29.97. The project must be delivered at 25 fps and all the footage from the other camera was shot at 25.

Unfortunately, I also used both cameras for a two camera setup during the interview. I really need to be able to cut between the two cameras with audio sync.

I feel like I'm sort of up shit creek but what are my options here? Is there any way to convert and integrate the 29.97 footage seamlessly into a 25fps timeline? Is hardware conversion flawless?

Will conforming the footage to 25 and then speeding up work or will there still be jitters?

If you're wondering how this happened, I was shooting on hacked GH2's and somewhere in the hacking process obviously something went wrong. I should have checked after the first round of shooting but time pressures meant that I didn't. At the end of the day it's my fault but any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Edit Suite Nightmare Realization - Can I convert 29.97 fps footage to fit seamlessly into 25fps timeline?
on Jul 3, 2013 at 1:48:09 pm

[Joey Bania] " Is hardware conversion flawless? "
Is the best option.

[Joey Bania] "If you're wondering how this happened, I was shooting on hacked GH2's and somewhere in the hacking process obviously something went wrong. "
I would say that nothing wrong with the patching, but you have to decide if you want to shot with PAL or NTSC before you start because the SD card format is not the same for one and the other.
You can't change time base and keep recording on the same card.
Things like this may happens.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Joey Bania
Re: Edit Suite Nightmare Realization - Can I convert 29.97 fps footage to fit seamlessly into 25fps timeline?
on Jul 3, 2013 at 2:15:21 pm

Thanks for your tips. Yes, I must have installed the wrong hack on one of the cameras although I was wary of this happening. As I say, I should have been more careful.

Is the hardware conversion option something I can do myself (ie. with Compressor or another plugin) or are better results available by taking the footage to a professional?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:54:28 pm

The hardware solution is available to those with the proper hardware, e.g. a Terranex. Be prepared for sticker shock if you have it done for you... but it will be perfect. A lot of shows from NTSC countries air in PAL countries, n'est-ce pas? There's your evidence.

If the budget doesn't allow, Compressor will do a creditable job of it. Convert all problem footage to 25 BEFORE editing, of course.....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:10:21 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "A lot of shows from NTSC countries air in PAL countries, n'est-ce pas?"
In my country (Spain), some companies made millions some years ago with the Standard Conversion.
Anyway, at these times the systems costed tens in not hundred of thousands of dollars.
No you buy a Teranex cost just 2.500US$.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranex/
Good standard conversion shouldn't be expensive.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:23:19 pm

In addition to the Teranex and Compressor options, for $100 you can use the Standards Conversion plugin from Nattress.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]