FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Multiclip requires render?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Allan
FCP7 Multiclip requires render?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:25:10 pm

I couldn't find this in previous posts...

I've successfully used the multiclip feature many times in FCP6. Now in FCP7, a render (green) is initially required once the multiclip is placed on the timeline. I typically use two 90min clips to create the multiclip. When each of the two original clips is placed on the timeline, no render is required as the clip & timeline settings match (ProRes 1280x720 59.94). When the multiclip is placed on the same timeliine, it has a green render.

I don't remember encountering this in FCP6. Am I missing something or is this just something unique to FCP7.

Thanks for any input!

Bob

Mac Pro 2010, OSX 10.6.8, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 32GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 Multiclip requires render?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:35:23 pm

Make sure your RT settings are set to UNLIMITED, and that you have MULTICLIP PLAYBACK enabled. And that the media is on fast drives.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Allan
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:46:20 pm

Thanks, Shane. I've done both and a green render is still required when I make a new attempt to place the multiclip on the timeline.

Any other thoughts...?

Robert Allan
Allan Media Group, LLC

Mac Pro 2010, OSX 10.6.8, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 32GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:48:27 pm

A green render is fine. Means you still playback at full resolution. Orange is the one of concern.

How is the drive that the media is on connected? Same drive that worked with FCP 6 with the dark green render?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Allan
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:55:24 pm

All media is on FW 800 drives; largely the same ones I've used in the past.

I'm receiving only a green render, which I can render for an hour and everything is fine. In FCP6 with largely the same parameters (actually on an older machine; a G5), no render was required of the multiclip except for the effects (dissolves, etc).

I can deal with all this. I'm just trying to understand why now there is an extra step.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Robert Allan
Allan Media Group, LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:58:29 pm

Well, did the codec of the footage differ? G5's don't really do ProRes...so guessing you were using DVCPRO HD or some other, lighter codec. ProRes has a higher data rate...10 bit vs DVCPRO HD's 8 bit. It's full raster 1920x1080, or 1280x1080...not 1280x1080 or 960x720. That does make a difference.

And you don't need to render before you start editing. Best not to really.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Allan
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:28:07 pm

You're right. The G5 was pre-HD for me. I'd forgotten. However the workflow is the same. I guess what's puzzling is that the source clips sit on the timeline without needing to render, but the multiclip requires it... and I'd never encountered that before.

It really doesn't affect the project at all. It's just one more step. I was just curious as to why.

As always, thanks for your insight and prompt responses, Shane!

Robert Allan
Allan Media Group, LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:31:08 pm

[Robert Allan] "The G5 was pre-HD for me. I'd forgotten. However the workflow is the same."

Doesn't matter if the workflow is the same, the fact is that you are working with media that has a MUCH higher data rate than SD...even DV. The same hard drives that you used for SD, won't give you the same performance in HD. The data rates are triple-quadruple what they were before. Playing back multiple streams of video, HD video for sure, requires fast hard drives. Firewire 800 will work for two streams, but you'll get the green render. Fibre, Thunderbolt, eSATA, SAS...those will perform better.

[Robert Allan] " I guess what's puzzling is that the source clips sit on the timeline without needing to render, but the multiclip requires it... and I'd never encountered that before."

Big difference between SD and HD

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Allan
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:32:55 pm

You da man... Thanks!

Robert Allan
Allan Media Group, LLC

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 3, 2013 at 12:02:21 am

Green will play back in real time for editing..

When you are done, you need to collapse the multiclips and the render bar will go away.

You do not have to render.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]