FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blotchy Photo Fading In

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garry Jenkins
Blotchy Photo Fading In
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:46:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help - it would be massively appreciated! I've tried searching and Googling but can't find an answer to this problem...

I'm very slowly fading in an image of an old photograph for a trailer, and want the fade-in to be smooth and even, very subtle, like this:

But I've had to change the photo I use, and on trying to do exactly the same fade-in I get this strange, uneven, 'blotchy' fade-in effect for the initial 'reveal' of the photo:

(I've obviously only included the first few seconds of the trailer here as that's where the problem occurs).

I know the problem must lie with the photo file types, but both are jpegs, sitting in sequences with the exact same settings, with the exact same opacity keyframes over the same amount of time - the only difference is the photos themselves. Both files are purposefully low-res and small in size to help with the aged look, but I have no idea why the fade-in reacts differently to them.

Apologies if this is indeed more of a 'photo type' query, I didn't know where else to turn!

Thanks,
Garry

Deep Cut Productions
http://www.deep-cut.co.uk

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Blotchy Photo Fading In
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:09:08 pm

The first thing you should try is to correct the picture colors because I thinkthey are very off specs.
Then, FC is bad at long dissolves.
Nattress Filters have a "Long Dissolve" transition.
rafael

Return to posts index

Garry Jenkins
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:28:59 pm

Hi Rafael, thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately colour-correcting does nothing, and besides I'm keen to keep the off-colour looks for stylistic reasons.

Also, using a different transition didn't work - I tried a couple from the Nattress Film Effect pack but the blotchiness still remains.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated...!

Garry

Deep Cut Productions

Return to posts index

Fred Nelson
on Jul 4, 2013 at 12:24:00 pm

Hey, Gary -

It is admittedly a shot in the dark, but have you tried this?

Keep the photo's opacity at 100% throughout.

Over the top of it (but underneath the title), put a black solid rectangle covering over the entire screen. You can generate one in Premiere's title tool or Photoshop.

Then, do a long fade-out of the rectangle instead ( 100 to 0% ) ... slowly revealing the photo underneath.

Hope it works ...

Return to posts index

Garry Jenkins
on Jul 4, 2013 at 7:08:29 pm

Hi fred!

That's an excellent idea and I thought it would do the trick - but it didn't :( Aaahh, shame because I thought that was a great suggestion. Strangely, the 'blotchy' effect remains exactly as before, so it must be something to do with the photograph...

Thanks again though, I'll keep thinking...and if anyone else has any ideas they'd be much appreciated... :)

Garry

Deep Cut Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Bradbury
on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:00:55 pm

Your problem may not in FCP exactly. I had similar symptoms when fading a JPG. By increasing the bit rate in Compressor, the problem went away.

Return to posts index

Garry Jenkins
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:26:53 am

Thanks Bill! You mean increasing the bit rate of the exported finished movie from FCP? I'll give it a try...

...or did you mean increasing the bit rate of the photo?

Deep Cut Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Bradbury
on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:06:42 pm

My problem disappeared when I increased the bit rate of the finished video. I use Compressor to export my finished products and you can control many parameters. I'm not sure how much control you have when exporting product directly from FCPX. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]