FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow motion video question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Carlin
Slow motion video question
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:07:28 am

Ok so i've got the footage for the video, i know how to conform it from 50fps to 25fps for the slow motion effect, but just a question:

I usually shoot 23.98fps and edit with the same timeline setting (obviosuly!)

What should i do now? conform to 23.98 and edit that or keep it to 25fps?

Obviously the footage will be registered as 50fps when i import to to fcp, do i set my sequence setting to 50fps or to the frame rate i'm conforming to?

Russ

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Slow motion video question
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:40:36 am

When you conform to a new time-base, the files shows uo everywhere (QT, FC,..) with the new time-base.
Your p50 stuff won't be any more p50.
Then you edit on a sequence with the new time base.
You have to decided what you want to deliver (25 or 23,97fps) and conform to that and edit on a sequence like that. You will keep the full original quality. No renders unless you apply any filter, transformation or graphic on top.
Makes no sense to conform to p23,97 and edit on a p25 sequence.
rafael

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Jul 2, 2013 at 5:53:51 pm

So if i set my sequence to 23.97, import the footage and then conform it to 23.97 it will be fine?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:15:05 pm

No...not at all!

Why are you trying to go 23.98? You shot with a PAL camera...PAL frame rate is 25fps. Why won't you use that frame rate?

If you wanted to cut at 23.98...why did you shoot with a PAL camera, that won't conform to that rate without a LOT of effort...or, a lot of money to pay for the good conversion tools?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:53:37 am

I don't have to, it's jus what i usually edit in.

Ok so i'm going 25fps, that's fine. I'm just not that savvy with frame rates etc!

Cheers for the help :)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 3, 2013 at 8:56:44 am

The choice of edit frame rate should be based on where & how you are delivering the final product. 50fps is just a number of frames per second as shot. Edit frame rate, once determined means the slo mo footage is converted in cinema tools to the edit rate, regardless of the shooting rate unless it is a music video that must sync to a specific playback speed.

I recently shot some GoPro footage at 60p and changed the rate to 25 for the edit to create a slo mo because I happen to be delivering a 25fps master for DVD and that matches the rate used in my country.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]