FORUMS: list search recent posts

30i footage to HD already in 1080p project ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
30i footage to HD already in 1080p project ?
on Jun 25, 2013 at 6:33:19 pm

I have a lot of 30i 16x9 clips in a 1080p29.97 sequence. I want the SD to be transcoded to HD in the best possible way without taking up an immense amount of space.

- I created a great Compressor setting that seems to yield the best result for the SD footage
- I can't transcode all the original SD clips as that would mean 20+ hours of footage and lots of space.
- Simply rendering the SD clips in the HD timeline looks bad compared to my Compressor setting
- Is it possible to / a good idea to move the SD clips back into a seq with it's native SD settings, Consolidate that SD timeline, grab the clips at the Finder level, run them through Compressor, reconnect the new HD clips to the SD seq then bring those clips back into the main HD seq?

I really need the SD clips to be compressed at the highest quality due to there bring a significant amount. Thoughts appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 30i footage to HD already in 1080p project ?
on Jun 25, 2013 at 6:45:25 pm

[Rosie Walunas] "- Is it possible to / a good idea to move the SD clips back into a seq with it's native SD settings, Consolidate that SD timeline, grab the clips at the Finder level, run them through Compressor, reconnect the new HD clips to the SD seq then bring those clips back into the main HD seq?"

YUP! That's exactly what I do. Media manage the cut to include only the footage used in the timeline, with 1 or 2 second handles, then use Compressor to upconvert the footage with my special settings, and then either cut those back into the show, or simply remove teh SD footage and relink to the new HD files.

[Rosie Walunas] "I really need the SD clips to be compressed at the highest quality due to there bring a significant amount."

Compress them as ProRes 422...or ProRes LT if you are really concerned about space.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 5:26:54 am

Great, thanks.

What about trashing the renders? I have a bunch of renders from the HD sequence from normal effect rendering and where the SD clips are located. Should I delete all the renders before doing the first consolidate of the SD clips and do a fresh render when the SD transcoded to HD clips are in? I especially bring this up because I noticed that on a few of my SD clips after editing and playing around with them for so long, rendering and re-rendering, there is a glitch in the rendered clip as if FCP did a poor job rendering a small portion of it in the sequence, but the actual clip is totally fine, if that makes sense.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jul 23, 2013 at 6:51:47 pm

I'm about to take on this procedure, but realized that there might be an issue. I have a lot of disolves between audio and it think it would be a good idea to include the audio in the transcode/uprez. So will I have to delete all my dissolves and redo all of them? Or is there a better way to handle this? And would I have to account for my handle duration based on the longest dissolve that I temporarily delete.

I hate to have to redo the work I've done...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:15:24 pm

The audio is already at full quality...it comes in that way. No need to redo the audio at all.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jul 31, 2013 at 7:50:28 am

I followed this tutorial ( http://www.larryjordan.biz/compressor-up-res/ ) as well as ran some tests with a setting that looks great in Compressor, but I am one frame off every time with the SD to HD (one frame off) clip.

Thoughts?

Is this problematic?

Things seem to look okay but I've also been staring at the same images for too long.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]