FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render suddenly required for simple titles, transition and colors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Tyas
Render suddenly required for simple titles, transition and colors
on Jun 25, 2013 at 4:47:32 am

Hello, I poured over the previous entries but couldn't figure out this one.

I recently switched a failing hard-drive to the redundant. After reconnecting the media, a dialogue asked me something about the missing render files, and whether I wanted to just delete them. I said yes, thinking that I could just re-render out what I needed since the render files weren't mirrored.

Immediately after this, I have had trouble laying down simple text, color bars or placing transitions without the render bar going orange for unlimited. Before, these items were handily processed by my computer in Green render bar. The really weird thing is that depending on where I place the text now, for example, it will either go green or orange. It's like my sequence has two different settings. Additionally, it's a sometimes problem. In some sections one moment I can't place text without orange render bar, and others it's green.

Finally, sometimes I can COPY an orange bar text or cross dissolve, position the time scroller at the beginning of the item and PASTE OVER a duplicate copy. The render bar may or may not go from orange to green. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason.

I've attached a video of some of these issues. You can see I place down some sample text and it's orange. I move it to the right, and it remains orange. Then I move it to the left and it's green. When I move it back to the right, it's green! It makes no sense!

The settings I had it on were Unlimited RT, Dynamic playback and framerate. I'm using XDCAM EX 1080P 30VBR

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Render suddenly required for simple titles, transition and colors
on Jun 26, 2013 at 5:23:12 am

FCP has only so-much RAM allocation for "green" RT effects
once that is used up, RT effects go "orange"

after that, you can disable some of the green ones, but the orange one stay orange until you force FCP to re-think them,
by turning them off & on, or nudging them as you have done.

i don't know why yours needed a double or triple nudge.
that's weird, and when things get weird in FCP it's time to trash your prefs

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Tyas
on Jun 26, 2013 at 5:59:23 am

Thanks for helping me to understand this!

I did delete the preferences and it didn't seem to change the behaviour, but I did lose my nice screen layout presets which is a bummer.

Another question based on this new info:
I have multiple sequences of progressive edits in this big project, would I free up some ram if I deleted these older sequences? What are other ways I can free up RAM in the project? And how do I disable the green bar RT effects? This is a new concept to me.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jun 26, 2013 at 11:29:51 am

"I did delete the preferences and it didn't seem to change the behaviour, but I did lose my nice screen layout presets which is a bummer."

ah, yes, it pays to have a good clean set of preferences backed up.

"I have multiple sequences of progressive edits in this big project, would I free up some ram if I deleted these older sequences?"

no.

"What are other ways I can free up RAM in the project?"

its not about the project really, its more about the amount of RAM that FCP is using for displaying the RT effects.
there is some control over that in the FCP system prefs / render & cache tab.

"And how do I disable the green bar RT effects? This is a new concept to me."

yes, i guess i say that like it's a simple thing to do, and it can be depending on your timeline, and what you are editing
for me it has been simple enough, as i work on projects with lots of subtitles. they soak up the RT, and what happens is the first 50-100 or so might be green, then they go orange, and playback is choppy.
but as the subs are all on one track they can be dealt with easily (it pays t be organised)

the trick i use is to have a blank track (with visibility turned off) above the subtitle track, and i just bump the earlier subs up into that track. (select them with the track tool, and option + up arrow)

as i say the remaining ones need a little reminder, so they get bumped up too, and then bumped back down, and FCP re-thinks the RAM allocation for the green effects.

so that works for me.
of course RENDERING the earlier part of the timeline would also work!

so there's a couple of ideas that might help
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]