FORUMS: list search recent posts

White set extension issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Shand
White set extension issues
on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:19:11 pm

Hi All,
We recently shot a video using a white photography backdrop. A few of the shots were done very wide so the edge of the screen and surrounding studio were in shot. We thought this would be relatively easy to 'set extend' using some white color solids in FCP.

Everything looks fine in FCP and on the mac but when we exported it onto DVD and played it on a television screen you could see all the set extension color solids!

To make things even more complicated, I did a color pick on photoshop and FCP and they are saying the RGB numbers are the same.

Is the issue that we are using the color solid which is a graphic on a video so when compressed onto a DVD this shows up.

If anyone has a solution I would really appreciate any form of help.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: White set extension issues
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:01:09 pm

Solid color are complicated to compress. Try adding a very little bit of noise.
rafael

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 21, 2013 at 6:45:29 pm

Use M
Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Shand
on Jun 21, 2013 at 8:54:55 pm

Thanks for the quick response I'll try adding a bit of grain/noise.

Dave could you elaborate on 'use M' please?

Thanks J

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:18:21 pm

Hmmm... I got cut off.

Use Motion or AE. Mask out the parts you dont want, and move them over the offending pieces of video. Feathered masks will help a lot.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 22, 2013 at 4:05:14 pm

Also if you have a way to reliably hook your computer up to a TV that might let you see what's going on in real time as opposed to having to burn a DVD and view it to evaluate your work.

I remember seeing BMW TV ads for a long time that ended with the BMW logo in a field of white and it was obvious that the logo was on a small, white square and a white background was added in post to fill out the rest of the screen.

Return to posts index

John Shand
on Jun 23, 2013 at 11:17:24 pm

Appreciate your help Dave, do you think it's worth adding some noise as suggested or should motion/AE cope better than fcp.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 25, 2013 at 1:41:36 pm

I don't think noise would be necessary. After all, using the AE or Motion technique means that you would be using the exact same shot. You may have to engage in some creative masking and feathering to make it look right, but that's about it.

I've used this same trick in the past myself in After Effects to fix a white cyc that just wasn't wide enough for the shot. It worked like a charm.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]