FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 24p import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Rosen
C300 24p import
on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:35:24 am

Venerable FCP Cow Forum!

So I'm demo-ing the C300 and mistakenly shot footage in 24p (not 23.98), and now I'm having the darnest time importing to FCP. Log and Transfer doesn't recognize the media. I've dug around this forum and elsewhere and have yet to find a working solution. I guess the goal is to somehow convert the 24p to 23.98 or 29.97. Any and all ideas are more than welcome. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: C300 24p import
on Jun 20, 2013 at 7:51:57 am

Do you have access to Avid Media Composer or Adobe Premiere pro?

(please say yes)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Benjamin Rosen
on Jun 20, 2013 at 1:28:51 pm

I have a trial of Premiere and Media Encoder and have unsuccessfully attempted to convert from both. My workflow: From Canon XF Utility export the bundled MXF folder into 1 self-contained MXF file (which has good playback in VLC); import MXF file to Premiere and playback is stuttered and has audio drift, and then I tried Media Encoder and because there's no preview for clips in the queue I attempted to export using the exact same settings as the clip (24p), and got similar stutter and audio drift.

Any idears?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 20, 2013 at 4:54:16 pm

Don't use any utility before you bring into Premiere. Premiere should be able to read the files natively. Use the Media Browser to import the media, put that onto a timeline, and then export out as ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Benjamin Rosen
on Jun 20, 2013 at 8:30:16 pm

Premiere is able to import the MXL files, but there is still an audio drift and stutter. When I try to import the footage to Media Composer, I get these errors:

I'm trying everything here!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:14:09 pm

Are you using a straight up 24fps timeline in Premiere?

Audio might be drifting because of the straight 24fps video. Video is 23.98...29.97, not 24 and not 30 for a reason. And the audio might be recorded to match that, so not designed for 24fps solid. Although, it's the audio FROM the camera, right? Thus I'm wondering if it is a straight 24fps sequence.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Benjamin Rosen
on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:29:44 pm

Audio is coming directly from camera. I shot TRUE 24p (vs. 23.98) and I've set Premiere to match. Haven't messed around with timeline settings, as I was just planning to export from the project folder, but everything is set to 24fps.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Rosen
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:02:00 am

Finally found a solution. I contacted Canon and they corroborated that none of the NLEs support their true 24p format. They recommended a freeware converter, xfcpx2, that converts to mpeg2, and from there you can do whatever you want in Compressor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]