FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 and New OS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dwight Cromie
FCP 7 and New OS
on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:28:29 pm

As a video production professional that is extremely happy with FCP 7 can someone explain why a FCP 7 version for the new OS operating system and equipment can't be created so that professionals like us satisfied with FCP 7 can continue update and purchase new Apple Systems without having to go to FCP 10.
I know that no matter what the cost of up grading FCP 7 program to work on the new OS operating system and equipment that the cost would be made up in the purchasing the upgrade by professionals like myself even if we had to paid a lot more.
All I am asking for is a simple explanation of why this has not or is not going to done. It just does not make good business sense to me if there is a market and profit to be made why Apple has chosen this path.
Can someone please give me a honest answer.

Sincerely
Satisfied Apple Customer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 and New OS
on Jun 19, 2013 at 11:07:25 pm

Apple no longer sells, nor supports FCP 7. Why should they put effort and resources into making sure it works with the newer hardware and OS when there is no financial benefit for doing so? Their new NLE is FCX, and that is the that they are currently selling, so that is the one that they make sure works with their new hardware an OS.

It makes perfect business sense.

If you want to continue to use their old OS...maintain a computer than us running the older, supported OS. The newer computers and OSes will not make FCP 7 work any better, or any faster. ENCODING..yeah. But for that you export the final out of FCP, take that into the newer computer and user newer software to do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 20, 2013 at 4:17:32 am

Hi Dwight,

As an ex-FCP 7 user who is "extremely happy" with FCPX, I'm curious if you've given FCPX a truly fair shot? If there is a major feature still missing that makes it absolutely unusable in your workflow, obviously its not a good choice for you. If not, the learning curve is not that bad and once it clicks, its a very good app. There is a ton of free and paid training and the FCPX Techniques forum here on the COW which is an incredible resource.

Like Shane said, FCPX is Apples new NLE. Apple seemed to make it pretty clear that FCP 7 was DONE. Dead. Forever.

I couldn't possibly imagine Apple selling off FCP 7 to be rewritten and updated by someone else, to then compete with FCPX.

Remember the rumors that Apple was going to license OS X to only HP Workstations because Apple, "the mobile phone company", gave up on the pro market and would never release another workstation machine? Nonsense. In my opinion, any thoughts of FCP 7 rising from the grave should be considered the same, nonsense.

But what do I know, I'm just some guy on the Internet. Stranger things have happened. Maybe Jony Ive will answer his own question... "hey, where are the tracks? Are you insane?"

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 20, 2013 at 8:00:25 pm

I'm also an ex-FCP 7 guy....if FCPX doesn't ring your bell you should give Adobe Premiere Pro a try. I switched to it back in 2011 when Apple took a different direction with their NLE and have been very happy with the speed and performance of Premiere. The newest version (just released on Monday, 6/17) is easily the FCP8 that you're looking for. It's only $50/month to buy into the Creative Cloud (what Adobe calls their software subscription program), and with that you get everything that Adobe makes - Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, Lightroom, InDesign, etc. Or if you just want Premiere Pro you can pay $20/month for just access to 1 app on the Creative Cloud - http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

They have a free 30 day trial (and FCPX does as well, I believe). You may want to give both of them a spin if you're looking to move on.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]