FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best drive set up?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Immy Humes
Best drive set up?
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:25:23 pm

Hello Creatives!

cutting with FCP 7, is it generally better to use one or two external hard drives?

I'm on an iMac 10.6.8 / 3.06 GHz / 4 GB and I also use a MacBook Pro to cut.

Current project has video on 2 (and sometimes more) G-Safe RAIDs - a 2TB and a new 4TB.

Both drives have USB 2.0/ Firewire 800 / eSata but iMac and Macbook Pro have no eSata in of course.

What is the best set up? I could get almost all the media on the 4 TB, or could keep it split between the two.

Do you keep yr originals on different RAID than the media that's been converted for FCP into .mov files?

Thanks thanks I need some expert ADVICE!

The Doc Tank, inc for documentaries

Return to posts index

Simon Modery
Re: Best drive set up?
on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:42:24 am

I would rather copy everything to one drive and use the other-one as an additional backup.
If you have original camera files you can't put into FCP there is no point having the drive they are on connected to your workstation - you are only increasing the risk of loosing data.
The only reason to keep you material split over two drives is if they would almost fill up one single drive ( occupy more that 85-90% of your hard drive space). Because in that case it would start to slow down the speed data can be accessed and written on the drive.

Head of Postproduction
Motherlode

http://www.simonmodery.com

Return to posts index

Immy Humes
on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:21:43 pm

Simon thanks very much!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 19, 2013 at 10:26:38 am

I agree with Simons comments overall.

Here's what I do in a nutshell:

-Original camera cards are copied to a drive dedicated to only original camera card backups.
-Clips are log and transferred to Prores on RAID media drive as needed.
-Camera card backup drive is ejected.
-Edit.

Of course this example doesn't cover the backup strategy (even though there is already one level of media redundancy, its not enough on its own to "call it good") and my actual workflow is a bit different (working in FCPX and camera cards are just backups of actual recording on AJA Ki Pro), but the idea applies just the same:

Make Perfect copies of all your original camera cards to a dedicated drive. Import clips from that drive to the media drive, then eject it the cards backup drive.

Return to posts index

Immy Humes
on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:21:22 pm

Thanks David I really appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]