FORUMS: list search recent posts

FinalCut not reproducing sound in mov file that Quicktime reproduces perfectly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Luckey
FinalCut not reproducing sound in mov file that Quicktime reproduces perfectly
on Jun 16, 2013 at 4:49:28 pm

Hi, this forum has been extremely helpful as I teach myself FinalCut 7, I don't post unless I can't find the answer I need. Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to import a video file that was sent to me as an mp4 file, which FinalCut did not read at all, giving an error message, so I used Adobe Media Converter (using Apple ProRes codec) to convert the clip to a Quicktime file. The new quicktime file plays perfectly in Quicktime, however when I import it to FinalCut it plays only video... FinalCut does recognize it has 2 mono audio channels. At some point looking around I was able to see the audio levels of those two channels inside of FinalCut, can't seem to figure out where now... regardless, audio won't play in the Timeline or Viewer, instead there is some muffled noise throughout the clip, that's it.

I've duplicated the export via Adobe Media Converter, and quadruple checked the audio in other programs, seems to be just a FinalCut issue.

Any suggestions???

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FinalCut not reproducing sound in mov file that Quicktime reproduces perfectly
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:45:31 am

What audio settings did you use when converting the file. FCP really only works with uncompressed audio (pcm) and should also have a sample rate of 48khz and bit depth of 16 or 24 bit only. Anything outside those settings or codecs like mp3, aac etc may not work.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: FinalCut not reproducing sound in mov file that Quicktime reproduces perfectly
on Jun 17, 2013 at 1:27:17 pm

Also if the audio is muxed as it is in some compressed GOP formats, it won't play in FCP. Convert to ProRes using Streamclip or a similar program and it should work.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Ryan Luckey
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:31:58 pm

Thank you,
I tried to convert via MPEG Streamclip, and no matter what codec/settings I use I get this error message:

Error: can't prepare the movie

MPEG Streamclip does reproduce the clip with both video and audio in the preview screen.

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:52:09 pm

[Ryan Luckey] "MPEG Streamclip does reproduce the clip with both video and audio in the preview screen."

A corrupted clip, perhaps? Do other clips that were ingested at the same time behave the same way?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan Luckey
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:50:59 pm

OK, I solved my own problem... I imported the clip into iMovie, and exported as a mov file, which FinalCut is able to read (and edit after rendering) ...

Maybe if someone else has this problem they will see this...

I'm definately baffled as to why iMovie can handle a file that neither FinalCut nor mpeg streamclip can handle...

Thanks Michael and Tom for the replies...

Return to posts index

Patch Bodenham
on Aug 20, 2015 at 7:45:31 am

Hey,. for the record I'm having the same problem but different.

I captured some audio using Sennheiser G2 wireless into a Zoom H4N - three files to be precise. The first two read perfectly, but during the final recording the Zoom ran out of battery and turned off before I hit stop.

I can play out the audio in VLC that I have uploaded to my drive, but it must be corrupted somehow as it won't read into FCP.

Can anyone think of a workaround?

Any help would be hugely appreciated

For the record, I'm wondering why Zoom haven't designed a work around that secures a file before loss of power while running on battery. I recently bought an H4N and have been screwed over by its crappy design on my first two shoots, because power loss running into G2 mics half way through the recording. It's really pretty basic stuff to work out a way of making files safe before they corrupt on loss of battery. There are hundreds of other people in various forum I can see suffering the same thing.... Bunch of balls

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]