FORUMS: list search recent posts

R2D2 MacPro end of the line?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Meyer
R2D2 MacPro end of the line?
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:32:11 am

It's fairly well documented that FCP7 isn't a big fan of dual GPUs, particularly when dual displays are connected to different GPUs. With dual GPUs being standard for the new MP and Thunder ports routing displays who knows where, can anyone offer a stability forecast for FCP7 and the R2D2 MacPro?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: R2D2 MacPro end of the line?
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:06:21 am

The thing isn't even out yet. No one has one. And no doubt it will ship with the new Mavericks OS. That OS won't support FCP 7...Moutain Lion doesn't (it works for some, not for others).

But I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a machine due out later this year to run software that is 4 years old, and software Apple no longer attempts to make compatible with their hardware and OS.

If you are going to stick with FCP 7...keep an old machine to run it on. If you are going to look for more current NLEs...then I'd say consider the new MacPro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 14, 2013 at 5:55:34 pm

Yeah, I'm w/Shane that the new OS is most likely the breaking point. I've run FCP 7 on a machine w/2 GPUs connected to different monitors and it worked fine. Color wouldn't launch but FCP 7 seemed not to care.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jun 14, 2013 at 6:36:52 pm

I'm primarily using Premiere CC (prerelease) but I find a quick trim on a ProRes clip FCP is convenient. No need for a project file to make a few quick edits. Just thinking out loud and wondering if this is going to be the breaking point.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 14, 2013 at 8:14:28 pm

Look, we all knew it couldn't last, once X was debuted. If your operation can continue, using the older gear and FCS3, just park it as a fixed point in time and use it as long s it still makes sense for you. At some point, an O.S. change or hardware changes will create a newer mac system that breaks or no longer runs FCP7. Then you say: "so long, it was a great ride", and you go out and get something new.

"I want more life, FATHER!"

"You were made as well as we could make you"

"But not to last".

"The flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you, my dear FCP7, have burned so VERY brightly. Revel in your time!"

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:26:35 am

There I have a question in this context, Shane:
I am about to get a HacMac Best, that will have MacOSX 10.8 installed, since it will also have to run Thunderbolt.
The Computer has a 2 GB NVidea 680 Card.

Will I still be able to run my beloved FCP 7.0.3. on this machine, or not?

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:45:55 pm

Hackintosh? Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: 2D2 MacPro end of the line?
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:51:03 pm

Take aside its a Hakibtosh. Would it run on a normal MacPro on 10.8 with a 680 card?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Joel Peregrine
on Jun 27, 2013 at 4:29:06 am

[Shane Ross] "Mavericks OS. That OS won't support FCP 7"

Has this been proven beyond a doubt?

Joel Peregrine/Wedding Films|WeddingFilms.com|YouTube Channel

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 27, 2013 at 4:37:55 am

Oh Shane, please, say that's not true. After getting now also into AVID, I understood again, how great FCP 7 is.
That would mean This OS would be not getting on my computer for quiet some time.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 27, 2013 at 5:53:04 am

Joel and Sascha, no it is not proven that FCP7 will not run on Mavericks.

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Oct 22, 2013 at 1:00:45 am

Hey Shane, FCP 7 and Mountain Lion and AJA work so well for me and play nicely together. I'm surprised to hear some are having issues. My real question, on October 21st, is why are you sure about Mavericks and FCP not playing nice together? I'm searching around the net for any info on it but so far nothing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]