FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Video Card(s)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gutermuth
Best Video Card(s)
on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:53:48 pm

Ok, I have a 2009 8 core Mac Pro 3.1 I think it is with 12gigs of RAM, 4 1TB drives in all the bays, 2 of them striped as my RAID...

The current card I have is a dual DVI card, and so I have one connected to the apple 23 inch, and the other with a DVI to HDMI cable to my 1080P monitor...

what would be my BEST solution here with regards to giving me smooth 1080HD output to an HDMI monitor (nice 1080P tv lets say)

Should I buy a second card for this purpose, or is there a dual card that will drive both displays past 1080?

I have a 2600 XT card in there now, btw...

Thanks,

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best Video Card(s)
on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:59:35 pm

So...not as a computer monitor, but as a client monitor...to see the video full screen?

Don't use a graphics card for that. You want a video IO card. AJA.com, decklink.com, matrox.com. BEST? Will be expensive. AJA Kona 3G. But you don't need that. Decklink Intensity Pro will do a great job:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on Jun 14, 2013 at 12:13:37 am

Yeah, was leaning that way - The funny thing is, with my old G5, I used an 9800 XT card, and it actually looked pretty good doing it this way...

is the extreme box for using a regular card, and fed into the box, and then HDMI out of their box to "program" monitor...

Im going to be doing a bit of cutting in FCP - I don't mind spending the $$, but I don't want to over do it on something I don't need...

Thanks so much :-)

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2013 at 12:18:48 am

The Extreme is Thunderbolt connectivity only. Meant for Thunderbolt equipped iMacs and laptops. You have a MacPro...it lacks Thunderbolt, but has PCIe slots. The Intensity Pro is PCIe...match made in heaven.

If you want more options, like Component and Composite, there's the Decklink Studio and Decklink 4K Extreme.

[Rob Gutermuth] "Im going to be doing a bit of cutting in FCP - I don't mind spending the $$, but I don't want to over do it on something I don't need..."

Mind you, FCP 7 is getting long in the tooth. 4 years old, and end of line. FCX is the thing Apple will be forwarding. PLUS, Thunderbolt is what they are pursuing for the future. iMacs have that, Laptops, the new MacPro has 6 Thunderbolt ports. So I offered a good, yet inexpensive option for your current setup, so you can save money if you upgrade your computer to a Thunderbolt only option later.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:36:36 am

Hi Shane,

I have some urgent decisions to make about order my new computer system, and I would so appreciate your input on some Qs I have. Would it be possible to send you a private message - since I don't want to put it in the forum, where it does not belong. You would do me an amazing favour with it, since I only have 24 hours to decide.

Thanx a lot.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:15:43 pm

My email is comeback at mac dot com.

Shane
Little Frog Post