FORUMS: list search recent posts

Name Titles

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Greene
Name Titles
on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:39:02 pm

We are having a debate here at the office about what to call the graphics we put over interviews (IE: Dr. John Smith – President of The Smart Guys). Are these Name Keys, Name Supers, Graphic Titles...

And what about location titles (IE: Lake Superior – Duluth MN)?

What does the industry call these things? Is there a standard or is it depend on the people you work with?

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.6 FCP 7, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Name Titles
on Jun 13, 2013 at 5:00:14 pm

In broadcasting they're known as lower-thirds. The archaic nomenclature is lower-third supers.
Name - title - locator are all common elements of lower thirds.

Did that shed any light?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Drolet
on Jun 13, 2013 at 5:49:47 pm

I agree with Dave. Lower 3rds :)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:06:17 pm

I come from a time when they were all generically referred to generically as "Chyrons", but today we say C.G. or lower third C.G.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:49:07 pm

Yup...lower thirds, as they occur in the lower third of the screen. Some producers still call them "Chyrons," back when the machine that made them was a Chyron.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 14, 2013 at 12:12:49 am

Because they can be anywhere on screen the common parlance in my area is just supers. This covers all superimposed text really.

Some people differentiate with 'name supers' or 'date supers'. Call em what you like, as long as the people you work with understand.

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Jun 14, 2013 at 1:46:36 am

I find it so interesting that there is so much variety in terms like these. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I won the debate. :)

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.6 FCP 7, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]