FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blueish glow on stage dancers

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Blueish glow on stage dancers
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:18:57 pm

I do ballet job twice a year, and have not seen this before. During this particular dance number, the stage lighting was very dark and blue, and a sort of double image or "bluish glow" showed up on the dancers shoulders. Have never encountered this exact phenomenon, but is this due to the nature of the lighting or is there something going out in the vid cam? I had no other issues under the normal normal lighting during the rest of the show. This was shot on mini DV tape, standard def....

(see capture still attached)

Thanks

Jonny Cates

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Blueish glow on stage dancers
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:35:43 pm

Ugh...DV needs to die already. It's bad enough with normal lighting, but add this, and the artifacts really pop.

Trying lowering the saturation. to like 70%.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:25:16 am

What I see is an out of focus shot creating an over-all chromatic aboration effect. Nothing in the frame is in focus, including the guys on their knees who are relatively still. Low light with high contrast at transitions makes CA pronounced.
Shoot a high contrast subject (chrome object against a dark background) and watch what happens when you roll focus through the subject. This is more likely your problem rather than a DV deficiency.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:36:12 pm

Can I tow the middle between the 2 above posters? :-)

I think it's a combination of both factors mentioned - high contrast/low light situation creating the chromatic aberration and the DV codec is likely creating the effect you're now seeing. Further complicating this is the type of camera/lens you're shooting. If you're shooting to miniDV tape it's probably a small sensor, fixed lens camera which aren't typically known as strong performers in these types of situations.

I think Shane's advice is a good stab at reducing the effect by reducing the saturation.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

ross daly
on Jun 12, 2013 at 7:54:52 pm

I have also gotten halo like that before from shooting in low light with a uv filter on. It can be caused by light bouncing between the parallel surfaces of the image sensor and the filter. No idea if you had one on, but I doubt you needed one if you did.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:50:22 am

Ohh, the poor MiniDV getting such a beating here ;-) I still own a DVX-100B and despite it being a SD camera, in terms of picture quality, overall look and color feel, it still beats many of the small prosumer cameras out there. If you go on my site, you will see many clips shot with that Panasonic and people don't believe it ain't HD.
In your case, you can also try - if you have - Magic Bullets Frames Plus - it has a sub category for de-artifacting. Did work good for me at some times.
Other than that, try what Shane suggested and maybe treat the Blue Curves separately from the RGB one, to get the blue appearance down.

Good Luck,

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]