FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 studdering question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Grogan
FCP7 studdering question
on Jun 9, 2013 at 11:52:54 pm

I have a problem that interferes with editing.

FCP7, 12 core MacPro, 16 G RAM. 40 TB external storage. AJA LHi video card.

I have a 720p60 ProRes 2-camera multicam clip that is being read off of a eSATA attached G-Raid drive. When playing it back for multicam editing it skips frames about one a second. If I turn off the scope display it seems to play back OK.

The problem is I can switch to another project that is 4-camera 720p60 ProRes files with auxillary audio tracks, reading off of the same disk, with scopes fully active and have no problem with multicam editing.

If I look at the timelines I have to state that the 4 camera one is much more complex as stills, titles and filters have been applied yet it plays back fine.

The other thing I noticed is that on the complex timeline the external video monitor is fed a "blocky" version of the video during playback (goes to full res when stopped) while the troublesome timeline is showing a full resolution image all of the time. I suspect that CPU cycles are being wasted feeding the external monitor (via an AJA LHi card) on the troublesome project but cannot find any settings that are different to cause this issue.

I prefer the lower res external output during editing over the frame skipping. If someone knows where this setting is it would fix the problem.

I suspect that taking away CPU cycles from feeding the external display will solve my problem. How to do this I don't know. Any other suggestions are also appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: FCP7 studdering question
on Jun 10, 2013 at 12:09:48 am

What are the RT drop down menu settings (in the top left of the timeline window)?

Unlimited and dynamic? Dynamic should give the "blocky" playback and full quality when stopped.

Return to posts index

Ed Grogan
Re: FCP7 studdering question
on Jun 10, 2013 at 1:00:54 am

RT settings for both versions are:

Unlimited
Scrub High Quality
Playback Quality: Dynamic
Playback Frame Rate: Dynamic
Multiclip Playback
Record to Tape: Full Quality
Scopes: All Lines Except Top& Bottom