FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon MKII to Prores: Best Conversion Technique

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robert zuill
Canon MKII to Prores: Best Conversion Technique
on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:40:02 pm

I have just shot a documentary in Afghanistan using an MKII. I now must convert all the video to pro-res. Could someone please suggest the latest and most widely accepted technique/software for doing this?

The MKII was not my first choice. I had not really used it before. However, I do like the results.

My problem is that I cannot find a recent post on how to approach the workflow for FCP. The posts all seem to be a few years old.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Rob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Canon MKII to Prores: Best Conversion Technique
on Jun 7, 2013 at 7:51:23 pm

Unless your 5D MkII has features introduced in the last two weeks, this ought to do:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 7, 2013 at 8:30:38 pm

Since FCP has been discontinued for more than 2 years, you are going to find most workflow info will be several years old..

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 8, 2013 at 12:33:29 am

I think the only change is the EOS plugin version number, otherwise Shane's tutorial is the Boss.

Shane has written often about alternatives like Grinder. So keep searching this forum because the opinions, as John says, are perfectly relevant for EOL software like FCP7.

Personally I shoot with a mk2 from time to time and have had excellent results using Log & Transfer following Shane's workflow. Either that or I edit in Pr6 native.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 8, 2013 at 3:03:12 am

The best converter for the Canon stuff is an app called "5DtoRGB".
Rafael

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jun 8, 2013 at 6:27:40 pm

I agree with Rafael. And if you get 5DtoRGB Batch you can batch your files.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jun 8, 2013 at 7:14:26 am

If you have to use Legacy than the Log & Transfer method is the way to go for sure. If you're on FCPX just click "Optimize Media" when you import. Having spent the last year and a half over on X, I'd highly recommend upgrading if you haven't already. With just a weekend or so of training you'll be much faster than could be possible within FCP7, especially on a doc style program.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 9, 2013 at 3:50:44 am

[Nicholas Zimmerman] "If you have to use Legacy than the Log & Transfer method is the way to go for sure."

I've had to re-transcode footage that had visual errors (glitching, pixelization) due to Log & Transfer, so I'd rather suggest 5DtoRGB or Red Giant Grinder.

Return to posts index

robert zuill
on Jun 9, 2013 at 11:53:39 am

Thank you Everyone for your responses. I am going to try the method suggested by Shane's video and then try again with 5DtoRGB. This has all been very helpful.

The only strange thing that happened was that it took me several tries to successfully access the Canon software for log and transfer. It downloaded okay. But all I could access was the user manual. I could not get to the install procedure. After several tries it finally worked.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Thanks again,

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]