FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conflict between FCP 7 & Flip4Mac Pro HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mabel Lau
Conflict between FCP 7 & Flip4Mac Pro HD
on Jun 6, 2013 at 10:41:19 am

I've installed a Flip4Mac Pro HD onm y Mac OSX 10.7.5, now I cannot open the final cut without it saying "Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly while using the Flip4Mac WMV Import plug-in", I've dragged the Flip4Mac to the trash, and the error still appears. I tried re-installing FCP 7, but the error is still there, can someone please help me? I'm desperate here, need to edit a clip for a client. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Conflict between FCP 7 & Flip4Mac Pro HD
on Jun 6, 2013 at 1:59:51 pm

Might have borked quicktime; trash prefs, re-install QT, just guessing.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:22:40 pm

Do you have Perian installed?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:41:45 pm

The F4M component allows QT applications to open WM files, however FC won't be happy managing files that are not QT (.mov).
Your best option is converting the WM files to any of the usual FC frendly codecs.
To fix the FC crashing problem, try refreshing FCs preferences.
This free app will help you:
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2013 at 11:06:39 am

For OS 10.7 on, you should be on Flip4Mac and Flip Player 3.2
If you are using WMV files you should rewrap them to MOV in Flip4Mac or Flip Player. They'll still be WMV essence in a MOV wrapper. If that's still an issue then by all means transcode to ProRes.

There are old Quicktime plugins that haven't been updated in a while that can conflict with Flip4Mac as well. 3ivx and Divx can be issues but there are others. Disable Perian as well (also been discontinued).

Note that Apple is leaving Quicktime behind for AVFoundation/CoreMedia so a lot of 3rd Party Quicktime plugins have been EOL'd and are more prone to conflicts to still active Quicktime plugins such as Flip4Mac.

Flip Player's existence (and more or less required for 10.7+) is, in part, due to the impending demise of Quicktime Frameworks and plugin demise.

Return to posts index

Mabel Lau
on Jun 8, 2013 at 10:02:59 pm

thank you very much for all the replies, guys! If I don't install Flip4Mac, is there a reliable converter for converting MOV to other formats like WMV, MPEG files ( I don't have compressor in my Mac) ? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2013 at 10:23:59 pm

Telestream Episode which is $495.
Compressor only does WMV with Flip4Mac Studio series plugin.
Generally though creating WMV specifically is in decline because Windows Media Player 12 (Windows 7 and 8) plays H.264 .mp4 natively... which Compressor 4 can now do (Compressor 3.x could not).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 9, 2013 at 12:51:50 am

It doesn't cost anything to try FLV Crunch. We use that and I believe it can make WMV.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 9, 2013 at 12:59:18 am

I can't say for certain but most apps like that only create WMV8, not WMV9.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]