FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 4gb Ram cap...anyone know how to rewrite that

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Strac
Final Cut 4gb Ram cap...anyone know how to rewrite that
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:50:13 pm

I have a beast of a machine, a lot of balls. I'm doing a Pro444 project and I keep getting the Error out of Ram message and I've never seen it before unless I had a corrupt render. I know Final Cut 7 is capped off at 4gb and I wanted to know if any of you geniuses know a patch for that?

Anyone ever figure out a work around that to open up that ram cap?

I know all the works arounds to get around that error but with 28gb of ram I would love to go in and re-write or patch over that code to open her up. Until then I will keep doing the work arounds. A new project with just that sequence in it seems to work just fine after a program re-boot but it's getting confusing with all the separate projects.

I'll pay someone to figure out how to patch over that annoying code cap.

Off hand does anyone know the Motion 4 Ram cap? I don't think that it would 4gb because I defiantly push Motion to it's limits and never had a problem since I went past 16gb of ram. Just curious

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut 4gb Ram cap...anyone know how to rewrite that
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:07:18 pm

Time to start using a newer NLE that handles more RAM, like Premiere Pro CS6, or CS Next that comes out in a couple weeks.

All of us here are editors...not coders who can break into the code of FCP and enhance it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:31:05 pm

Well after 7 grand on getting my Apple Master Pro Certification and Apple Trainer Certs on FCS 3 I'm not about to leave my bread and butter but I'm just praying that they learned from mistakes with X and marry 7 & X together to make an amazing Final Cut 11.

Thanks for the input. Have good day man. I hope someone else chimes in with a patch. I have to assume someone somewhere in the world has tried to mess with this cap. Probably some german dude haha, they seem to be the ones who do bold code moves.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:09:39 pm

The RAM access limit is a limit of all 32-bit software. There is no getting around it. There could possibly be a way of programming plug-ins with memory servers to access their own RAM like some audio plug-ins did a while back, but each one would itself be limited to 4GB. The only way to get around it is to rewrite the software as 64-bit, which Apple did when they came up with FCX. Even if there were a way to patch it, I imagine whoever put in the coding time would like some kind of monetary compensation for it and the legacy FCP user base is getting smaller and smaller.

If it was legal (it's not), possible and profitable for someone to do it, it would've been done already is what I'm saying.

There is no future in a legacy software with no upgrade path. As long as the legacy version fits your needs, it works fine, but that doesn't seem to be your case anymore. Bitter pill, I know.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:40:48 pm

Well! Eloquently said....I greatly appreciate that explanation. That explains why it was done in the first place I was wondering why they would ever make that limitation so again thanks for opening that door I will pass that knowledge along to my fellow frustraters. I wouldn't say it does not fit my needs anymore because I use it on daily basis and I will not move from it for anything but it absolutely is a frustrating factor. I am quick to work around it when it comes up so thankfully its never been a road block

FYI I was playing around with my timeline and I replaced all the JPEG's with png medium res and that resolved my problem in ONE circumstance in that timeline. I didn't have that message come up anymore. In haste I chucked a very high quality JPEG in the timeline and I out of habit went and replaced them all. Thats when I realized... huh ok it didn't give me that error. Then I put it back and got the error.

Again that's only one of the circumstances fixed in a 12 major sequence project but it was interesting to see that make a difference for all you other editors out there.

Thanks again for dropping some knowledge on my face.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 6, 2013 at 5:21:17 am

Out of memory errors are almost always due to stills that are beyond the 4000x4000 pixel limit, or are in CMYK format. You seem to be having problems with high rez jpegs. Perhaps the above is your problem.

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
on Jun 6, 2013 at 1:16:58 pm

This is why I love forums! I will also pass that along to my peers, thank you very much Bret! Yesterday I experienced the difference and tested my theory but thank you for the research behind my problem.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:47:23 pm

[Jean-Christophe Boulay] "If it was legal (it's not), possible and profitable for someone to do it, it would've been done already is what I'm saying."

Well said.

[Jean-Christophe Boulay] "The only way to get around it is to rewrite the software as 64-bit, which Apple did when they came up with FCX."

Your solution to take advantage of more RAM, CPU, and GPU already exists in FCPX (or you can look at Avid Media Composer or Adobe Premiere which Shane noted). I'm sorry that you spent so much money getting certified only to have Apple move completely away from that software. That's really awful!

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:50:49 pm

Well I did re-certify when it came out so I am up to date and own it. But I have problems with Final Cut X for broadcast TV that outweighed my desire to use it for work. I play with it on personal projects. I have fully embraced Motion 5 and developed a workflow to integrate it with my Final Cut Studio 3 apps. FC X in my opinion for broadcast tv is so much more difficult than its worth.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:04:36 pm

[Grant Strac] "Well after 7 grand on getting my Apple Master Pro Certification and Apple Trainer Certs on FCS 3 I'm not about to leave my bread and butter"

Yeah, there was a lot of anger from those of us who spent years learning that app inside and out. But, sh*t happens, as it happens all the time in many circumstances. So use it while you can, but if it doesn't keep up with your current needs (it's already 4 years old), then using a different app is the solution. The next version of PRemiere Pro is so much like FCP it's scary. CS6 was what many dubbed "the FCP 8 we were looking for." But really...it's the next version that does most of what we liked about FCP.

[Grant Strac] "I'm just praying that they learned from mistakes with X and marry 7 & X together to make an amazing Final Cut 11."

It'll never happen. Time to buck up and move on.

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:00:41 am

Ugh you said it right its scary. My problem is when something goes wrong I know how to fix it quickly and thinking that I would have to rely my life on is terrifying. As it always is projects are always behind I had a system issue today, nuke the drive, reinstall back up and going in two hours. With something new I'd probably crack under the unknown.

Thanks for the insight. Have a good one

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 6, 2013 at 10:39:26 pm

Just think about the people that used to cut on film and then had to learn how to cut on linear, tape-to-tape edit systems. And then those linear systems died off and were replaced with nonlinear computer software. Moving from one computer program to another is pretty simple by comparison. ;)

It's also an inevitability. God willing, I'll still be working 30yrs from now and I'm sure the landscape will look completely different in 2043 than it does today.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jun 8, 2013 at 7:28:08 am

Move to X, it's worth it in the long run. If going to tape is your issue, grab Resolve Light. It's free, prints to tape, and kicks the crap out of Color. If you need CC, well... I'm waiting on that one too. The best workaround for CC seems to be FCP7, but by that point you'll be dealing with a flat file, so no RAM worries.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]