FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videos being darkened by FCE and MPEG Streamclip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhune Kincaid
Videos being darkened by FCE and MPEG Streamclip
on Jun 4, 2013 at 12:11:59 am

Hi!

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem that has been driving me crazy for the past week. At my workplace, I use a video workflow where I take files recorded on a NewTek TriCaster XD300, transcode them to AIC with MPEG Streamclip and then edit in FCE on an iMac. Recently though, when I import the files to either FCE or MPEG Streamclip they look significantly darker than they looked on the TriCaster. The blacks are crushed and it looks like someone messed with the gamma settings. In fact, if I put a Gamma filter on the clips and set it to 0.8, it looks a lot more like the original TriCaster file.

I thought this was just a difference between the two monitors, but when I output a file and view it on the TriCaster, it is drastically darker, so the effect I'm seeing when I import to FCE or MPEG Streamclip is sticking.

I've been editing with the same workflow on footage from the same studio for two years and this just started last week. Since the problem is happening in both FCE and Streamclip (but not VLC Player), it seems like something must've recently updated in Quicktime that is affecting them both. I've read about people having similar problems in FCP, but the solutions offered don't tend to apply to FCE.

Does anyone know what's going on or how I can counteract it?

Return to posts index

Chuck Baker
Re: Videos being darkened by FCE and MPEG Streamclip
on Jun 11, 2013 at 10:34:02 pm

I'm checking with some of our technical staff, if I get anything useful back I will post with it.

Chuck Baker -- NewTek, Inc.
Senior Manager of Communications
http://www.newtek.com/
facebook.com/newtekinc
twitter.com/NewTekInc

Return to posts index

Kane Peterson
Re: Videos being darkened by FCE and MPEG Streamclip
on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:11:14 pm

I don't know Final Cut Express that well, but perhaps this information might help.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2011430?start=0&tstart=0

Kane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]